Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wagermonique Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 06:09 AM
    Lien on bank account
    I have a judjment lien against my bank account. What go in this account are Socical Security cheks (exempt incomes). How do I do to have this lien removed or the money freed ?
    Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 19, 2007, 06:23 AM
    First, it doesn't matter what goes into the account, once it's there its comingled money, so you need to change your direct deposit.

Second, the time to fight this was BEFORE they got a judgement against you.

The only ways to have to lien removed is if you;

a) pay what you owe
    b) fight the original judgement in court.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 06:29 AM
    Yes, as Scott said, you need to stop that direct deposit NOW, once it goes in it will be frozen along with the other money.

If there is a way to show which money in that account is from that sourse only, you may hire an attorney and file a motion with the court to release those funds. But the burden of proof is on you now.

And as noted when you received notice of the court hearing, that was when you needed to show up and explain it to the judge.

Best option now, stop the direct depost so you havve some money and if you can't afford an attorney see if you can locate a legal aid society in your area, you can such with social servies, normally they have a refferal locallyfor you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Illegal bank lien [ 3 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My father, a disabled retiree, had his bank account frozen or levied yesterday. His only income is from social security, no other income. As it turns out the debt is mine, his daughter's. I was added to his bank...

Lien on bank accounts and car [ 2 Answers ]

I am a resident of Indiana. Capital One took me to small claims courts and received a judgment against me. I have been notified that while they believe that it appears they can't get a lien against me, they want me to go to a hearing in June and bring in proof of income and assets. My only...

Child Support Lien on bank account [ 22 Answers ]

We discovered this evening that our bank accounts were frozen by child support. We have had no notification of this from anyone. My husband has 3 children from his previous marriage About 2.5 years ago my husband lost his job due to serious illness when he got a new job the salary was...

Closing a bank account after a jugement lien has been issued [ 16 Answers ]

I am a debtor who had a creditor issue a judgement against me. They put a judgement lien against my 3 bank accounts (at the same bank). Two had nominal money in them & one had a $0 balance. When I woke up this morning I could see the account was at $0 yet my funds available showed the amount of...

Account Garnished, Possible Lien, Please help [ 7 Answers ]

In March of 2003 I stopped paying 3 of my credit cards while I lived in FL. Now, World Assett Mgmt, a debt purchaser, and one of the worst, has placed a jugdement against me, filed for contempt of court, and has garnished my bank account. (I know I should have shown up for the court hearings, but I...

View more questions Search