Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EllieRose Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2018, 12:10 AM
    Children's book of giant stories
    I remember reading a book at my grandparents house as a child, so 1995-ish. It contained a collection of stories about giants. I remember one had a character using flax to make rope to capture a horse. And another was the tale of Loki dressing Thor up as Freya to retrieve his hammer from the giant Thrym (I don't remember if the book actually mentioned the giant's name or the name of the hammer).
    Dchdman Posts: 226, Reputation: 17

Dec 7, 2018, 09:19 AM
    Hello

Is this the story FYI = This is a Summary.

Thor wakes up one morning to find that all is not right with the world. His magical hammer, Mjollnir, is missing.

Convinced that the theft is just one of Loki's usual pranks, he finds the trickster god and demands to know where his hammer is.

Loki insists he didn't take Thor's hammer. He's pretty sure he knows who did, though, and he has a plan.

Thor asks Freyja if Loki can borrow her ride. It's a magical feather dress that gives the wearer the wings of a bird. With some interesting whirring noises, Loki departs for Jotunheim, the land of the giants (called Jotun).

In Jotunheim, Loki finds the frost-giant Thrym sitting on a mound braiding golden leashes for his dogs and stroking the manes of his horses in a creepy sort of way.

When Loki tells Thrym that Thor's hammer is missing, the giant admits to hiding it eight miles below the earth. In exchange for returning the hammer, Thrym explains, he wants Freyja, the most beautiful goddess in Asgard (the land of the Aesir gods), for his wife.

Loki flies back to Asgard and breaks the bad news to Thor.

Right away, Thor insists on finding Freyja. He tells her to put on a wedding dress. She's got to marry Thrym.
    Freyja is totally offended that Thor would even suggest such a thing (she even snorts).

All the gods hold a council to discuss how they're going to get Thor's hammer back.

The watchman god, Heimdall, suggests that Thor put on a wedding dress, some gemstones, Freyja's special necklace, and some keys. In other words, Thor should dress up as Freyja and travel to Jotunheim to get his hammer back himself.

Thor's not thrilled about that plan. He's sure that all the gods will call him un-manly if he does that.

Loki tells Thor to suck it up. If he doesn't get his hammer back from the giants, they'll use it to take over Asgard.

Reluctantly, Thor allows the gods to dress him in a wedding gown and deck him out with gemstones, keys that rattle, and Freyja's special necklace, Brisingamen.

Loki decides that he'll go with Thor to Jotunheim as a bridesmaid.

Thor calls for his goat-driven chariot. After much thunder and lightning, Loki and Thor arrive in Jotunheim.

When Thrym sees them coming, he instructs his servants to deck the halls, for Freyja's on her way to marry him.

Thrym brags about all the shiny cows and gemstones he owns, and muses that, now that he has Freyja, he's got everything a giant could ever want.

Fast-forward to the wedding feast: Thor eats an entire ox, eight salmon, three barrels of mead (basically beer), and the entire wedding cake.

Thrym's totally impressed, and a little bit surprised, since he's never seen a woman eat so much.

Loki excuses the "bride's" monstrous appetite to Thrym by explaining that she was so excited about her marriage to him that she fasted for eight days in a row.

Eager to kiss his bride, Thrym lifts her veil and immediately leaps back in horror. His bride's eyes, he says, are fiery red!

Loki explains that the bride's been so excited about her marriage to Thrym that she hasn't slept for eight days straight.

Thrym's sister appears in front of "Freyja," demanding the bridal fee, a payment the bride and her family owe the man who marries her. She tells "Freyja" to take the rings off her fingers.

Now it's time for Thrym to fulfill his side of the bargain. He instructs his servants to bring in Thor's hammer, Mjollnir, and lay it in the bride's lap to "bless" her.

Thor's heart leaps in his chest when he sees his hammer placed in front of him. Immediately picking it up, he kills Thrym and the giant's entire household.

Instead of a bridal fee in shillings, Thrym's sister gets smashed in the head.

That's how Thor gets his hammer back.

Jan 11, 2019, 03:42 AM
    Hi Dchdman, yes that is the story. I remember it well. I am looking for a particular book it was featured in.

Jan 11, 2019, 05:40 AM
    Hello Again

I'am not sure about the book that contains all of them though here is the book that contains just the story of cross dressing Thor etc and a few others.

( https://momreadit.wordpress.com/2011...harcourt-2005/ )

Hope this helps.

Jan 12, 2019, 11:40 PM
    Thank you Dchdman but that is not the book I am looking for

Jan 14, 2019, 08:21 PM
    Hello Ellie

Do you remember what the cover of the book looked like as I've just found a number of Children books of Norse myths.

This one was published 2004 ( https://www.booktopia.com.au/d-aulai...SABEgL5QvD_BwE )

Unfortunately, many books have been published since 1995 with Norse myths and legends taken from the original book "Myths of the Norsemen" by H.A. Guerber published in 1909.

Jan 16, 2019, 03:11 AM
    I believe there was a thin giant on the left side of the cover slightly leaning over the title. I am not sure if the stories were just Norse myths or a collection of world stories.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ghost stories from children's book in the 80's [ 2 Answers ]

I read the book back in the 80's, it was a collection of ghost stories. I remember a girl that gets lost and finds an old house. There was a talking skull and seems to me, she made pancakes for the skull? It's driving me crazy! I must find the name of the story or, better yet, the book the story...

Weekly Reader (?) book about a giant family who ate pumpkins, from the 1960's? [ 1 Answers ]

This has been plaguing me for years. When I was little, I read a book that had belonged to my dad or one of my aunts. I would guess it was written in the 1960's, maybe early 70's, and I think it was a Weekly Reader book or something similar. It was something to do with a family of giants whose...

Identifying a children's book about lake monsters (picture book not chapter book) [ 2 Answers ]

I was hoping someone could help me identify the title or author of a picture book I used to read as a child. I've seen that other users have had success with similar questions but unfortunately I just remember the basic premise of this book. Any help or tips would be great! The book I'm looking...

Looking for a book (with short stories) [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone I was hoping someone could help me find a book that had short stories in it which I read about 15 years ago. It was kind of a scary book and it supposedly had true stories in it but I cannot for the life of me remember the author or title of this book. One of the stories was called...

Thick children's book with short stories,one w/dogs party, one with boy inventor [ 2 Answers ]

I had a thick book as a kid, it was big too, bigger than an A4 sheet of paper, and it was full of illustrations and different short stories. There was one where different types of dogs were all rushing to attend a party. And there was one where a boy invented many different gadgets including a...

View more questions Search