Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vbender Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2018, 10:40 AM
    Hot water tank has too much pressure
    I have a hot water tank (gas) that seems to be building up too much pressure . I replaced the pressure relief valve thinking that the valve was failing , but the tank still builds up pressure and lifts the pressure relief valve . What else would be causing this issue?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2018, 12:06 PM
    Could be a bad PRV valve. Check water pressure at the hot water drain.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 17, 2018, 12:23 PM
    Hi Vbender

My guess is that you have a potable water EXPANSION TANK that has blown its diaphragm. Here, in some "closed loop" water piping systems we will install an expansion tank into the cold water inlet to the water heater (I've also seen a couple installed on the hot water piping) to absorb the expansion of the water when it gets heated up and has no where to expand, too. In most cases, the way we know that the expansion tank is blown is because the T&P valve periodically spits out a little water when the water heater turns on (or hot water gets used). Check for an expansion tank... if you have one, most likely it needs to be replaced.

Name:  expansiontank.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  18.5 KB

Replacing an expansion tank is an easy job. Just shut off the water main, drain water from the pipes in the house, drill a hole in the top of the expansion tank and then a hole in the bottom of the expansion tank and drain the expansion tank of water. Once the expansion tank is drained it will easily unscrew for disposal.

Post back if this helped!

Mark
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 17, 2018, 05:34 PM
    In addition to the above advise: Also your thermostatic valve on the water heater itself, could be failing

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replaced a hot water tank,water is not going to the pressure tank-the pump stays on [ 2 Answers ]

Replaced a hot water tank, turned the pump on and the water is bypassing the pressure tank. The pressure tank will not fill up and the pump remains on and will not shut off. We do get water though but needs to shut off the pump so it will not burn out. Any thoughts? Thank you Any ideas will...

New Water Heater~ now no water pressure, pressure tank won't stay on... [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Yesterday, we had our hot water heater replaced as it was 18 years old. The utility company sent their plumbing contractor to take the old one our and put in the new one. Before they arrived our water was perfectly fine. After they left, we had no water. Basically told my wife, sorry we...

With the power turned off to water tank, tank loses pressure fast [ 0 Answers ]

Foot valve has been replaced but now pump won't shut off all the time. When you turn power off tank loses pressure instantly.

Does the pressure from the hot water tank effect the pressure of the cold water? [ 2 Answers ]

We have very low water pressure at our kitchen sink from both the cold and hot water faucets, but no problem with the water pressure to the bathroom or washer. The cold water tank is closest to the kitchen and the hot water heater is near the bathroom and washer. Someone told my roommate that there...

Water pressure against tank height and tank water capacity [ 5 Answers ]

Normally the head pressure of water is .433 pounds per foot of head. Is there any change in pressure by changing the tank water capacity. e.g. if two tanks of 50ft height having water capacity of one is 10,000 gallons and other one has 20,000 gallons. What will be the water pressure difference...

View more questions Search