Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    etic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2018, 09:23 AM
    Can I use a Rectifier type of a Diode on a doorbell ringer?
    I need they are selling is this OK to buy for my doorbell ?to buy a 1 Amp Diode for my doorbell ringer an the one I see to buy says it a Rectifier type of Diode
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 17, 2018, 09:43 AM
    Wow, this just does not make any sense at all.

A rectifier is an electronic device that allows current to flow in one direction only. It takes 4 rectifiers to build a Rectifier Bridge and converts a full sine wave of AC to a pulsing DC circuit. And then it take a set of capacitors to then flatten the AC bounce out and effectively make usable DC Voltage.

A door bell is about the simplist electrical circuit in the world. It takes a door button (switch), the bell unit and usually a 120v AC to 24v AC for the entire process.

The voltage from a 120 volt branch circuit feeds the transformer. The transformer steps the voltage down to 24 volts and feeds the switch. The switch when closed feeds the bell unit.

Putting a rectifier in would make no sense. A rectifier cannot change the voltage level of the incoming signal to anything but a pulse. It certainly cannot drop the signal from 120 volts to 24 volts. A single rectifier all by its self would only get you 1/4 of the incoming signal of which only the peak part of the signal would be usable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Show me how to connect a diode and a zener diode in circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I want to connect IN4148 and IN4007 in a circuit. Please show me how to identify terminals visually and solder them in to the circuit with correct polarity. Tanks.

Blocking diode, shifting diode on an evenude boat motor [ 1 Answers ]

Old evenrude electric shift. The brown ball ( I believe it is the blocking diode) is smoking. Also, motor does not shut off by key all of the time, but sometimes it does. How do I test the diode, the power in to the diode, and could I just bypass the diode? Any info here would be greatly...

What size diode for doorbell [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Westminster door chime. I need to replace the diode. What type of diode do I need.

My doorbell light is not working but the ringer is [ 3 Answers ]

Simple door bell the light has gone out but pushing the door bell it stills work. The unit is wired. Do I need a new door bell?

View more questions Search