Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

Nov 15, 2018, 08:13 PM
    Signed car title
    I agreed to buy a very nice used car from someone, and I will be paying him a nice chunk of cash. What worries me is the title he showed me. It is signed and notarized. He says the car belongs to his mom who is very sick in the hospital and he had her sign the title so he can sell her car because she will not be able to drive. It sounds legit to me. How can I be sure this is her signature on the title ? What if by some miracle she is fine again and finds out her son sold the car without her permission ? Worse yet, what if he forged her signature to sell the car and keep the cash ? What is my due diligence here ? Is this title good as it is - signed and notarized ?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2018, 08:28 PM
    Assuming the notary isn't in cahoots with the seller, you are good to go. "
    How can I be sure this is her signature on the title".
    Notary should have verified signiture before stamping. I know my wife never would notarize unless it was signed in front of her and with pictured ID. The name of the notary is on the stamped seal, check with them if you have questions.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2018, 10:10 AM
    Also in some states there is a separate form that the DMV (or other office) requires to be signed and notary if the seller is someone other than the owner.

Ask what hospital and check to see if she is actually in hospital.
    Seldom does someone stay there for weeks.
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

Nov 16, 2018, 10:15 AM
    Thank you guys so much ! You have been very helpful

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My ex had a car that he paid for before we met and later signed the title over to me [ 5 Answers ]

My ex had a car that he paid for before we met and later signed it over to me, so the title and insurance are in my name, he is taking me to small claims court for replevin

My ex boyfriend took my car... We co signed it on the title... what should I do ? [ 7 Answers ]

We both signed the title... I moved away and came back and he wouldn't give my car back... he had a car and got rid of it... so he kept mine... I came back and told him I wanted my car back. And he won't give it back.. tells me I have to give him 300 dollars to get it back... when we traded the...

My husband signed his title can I sell it [ 2 Answers ]

My husband is an over-the-road trucker, he is gone 2 or 3 months at a time, he currently wants me to sell his car, I have the title, signed, I also have an interested party wanting to buy it-- the problem lies where I don't have a notary who would certify it without him being here... what should I...

Never signed title over [ 1 Answers ]

I live in PA. I owned a mobile home in a mobile home park,In September, I listed the mobile home for sale for 3700.00. The man who bought the mobile home was told, he would have to be approved by the park(credit check, job verification,etc... ) One week later he contacted me and gave me a check for...

Co signed car loan and title [ 12 Answers ]

I cosigned on an auto loan with our daughter. The car title and loan are in both of our names. She is going to move out and has been unreliable in making payments. I have had to bail her out more than once. I want her to either get the loan and title in her name alone or turn in her car. She...

View more questions Search