Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    USTX5454 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2018, 11:54 AM
    2018 US Child Tax Credits with ITIN
    I have 2 kids with ITIN. (no SSN yet).. Hearing news that we cant get $2000+$2000 child tax credits this year.. Is that so?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 15, 2018, 12:19 PM
    Unfortunately, that is correct. Under the new tax law, children with ITINs do NOT qualify for the $2,000 Child Tax Credit.

They DO, however, qualify for the $500 tax credit for "other dependents".

So instead of $4,000, you will get $1,000.
    USTX5454 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2018, 03:28 PM
    Thanks for quick response.. You are awesome in replies (though $1k v/s $4k not helping me). LOL..
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 15, 2018, 07:32 PM
    Sorry the news could not have been better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you get budgeting loans on child tax credits? [ 2 Answers ]

I've been on income support for many years, but last September, I was put onto child tax credits, does anyone know if you can apply for the budgeting loan on child tax credits?

Choosing resident alien status, Foreign tax credits and States credits? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone I just find this forum and get lots of useful information of Dual-status for US tax return and foreign tax credits, thank you for all your guys, but I still have some questions want to ask for this two topics including state tax. I already read P519 ,I think we can do married...

Income tax fraud child tax credits [ 2 Answers ]

I know a woman who had her four childre removed from her custody five years ago. Each year she uses their social security nunbers to receive tax credit. The state is paying the foster care family to support these children. Doesn't DCFS collaborate with the federal government? Perhaps the foster...

Can we claim Child Care Expenses for child with ITIN? [ 1 Answers ]

We are on L1 visa, married and filing jointly. We would like to know if we can claim child care expenses ( day care) for our child who qualifies for a dependent child but does not have an SSN. We have been told that if the child has an ITIN we can only claim for the child care credit ( i.e 1000$)...

Child care expense credit ffor a resident alien child with ITIN [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a resident alien on a J1 (do not get W2) while my husband is on J2 and gets W2. Can I claim child care expense credit for my resident alien son who has a ITIN? I was wondering this since I might not qualify for earned income but my husband income does, can we claim the child care expense...

View more questions Search