Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    langer1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2018, 03:42 AM
    Help acquiring German passport
    My Father was a German POW an stayed in the UK after the War. He Married my English mother and she became a German citizen by marriage ( I have the Original German Passport with both on it) My Father naturalized in 1954 my mother didn't. As she also had her British Citizenship. I was born in 1955. I have 2 elder siblings that are German citizens. My Father acquired an AUSWEIS FUR VERTRIEBENE UND FLUCHTLINGE in 1968. I have all original documents. Could I be eligible to obtain citizenship? I have no intention of living in Germany and am self sufficient and not looking to obtain any benefits at all. Would be nice to have the same nationality rights as my two elder sisters.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2018, 03:25 PM
    Check with the German consulate nearest to you.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 13, 2018, 05:40 PM
    I agree with Ma, time to visit a German consulate near you. You can also go online, find a German consulate nearest you, message them and ask them your questions. They really would be best equipped at helping you.
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Nov 14, 2018, 12:44 AM
    When your father naturalized, he automatically lost German citizenship. Since this happened before you were born, he had no German citizenship to pass onto you at the time you were born. (I presume that your siblings were born before your father naturalized, so they automatically got German citizenship from him at the time of their birth.)

German citizenship could not have been passed from the mother to child before 1975, so you did not get German citizenship at birth from your mother either.

However, if your mother was a German citizen at the time of your birth, there is a special naturalization procedure for you to get German citizenship, if you have command of the German language and other ties to Germany. And you do not have to renounce your existing citizenships to get German citizenship through this process. See this PDF, or this page (both in German) for more details.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acquiring a German passport [ 2 Answers ]

Wondering why you aren't answering questions that have been asked?? My question as others is can I get a german passport - both sets of my grandparents were born and lived in somewhere in germany. :)

Acquiring german passport through german grandparents? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi our Grandmother was born in Germany and moved to Canada in The 20's. Our mother was born here. Our grandfather was born in the United States but was of German decent. Can we get a German passport through our grandmother?

Acquiring a German Passport [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, Is there anyone who can answer whether I can acquire a german passport from having a grandmother on my mothers side being born in Germany? She has a German birth certificate, canadian passport. My mother doesn't have her german citizenship and my grandmother has forfeited her german...

Can I apply for a german passport when married to a german and living in south africa [ 0 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm South African and would like to know if I will be able to apply for a German passport after getting married to my fiancé which of cause is a German himself. We will however live in South Africa after getting married. Our marriage will also take place in South Africa.

Acquiring a French passport [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am Canadian but my Grandmother has dual citizenship (French and Canadian). She lives 6 months in France and 6 months in Canada. I would like to start proceedings to acquire a French passport... if that is at all possible. Where do I begin? :confused: What do I need to make this a...

View more questions Search