Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wxbee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2018, 11:59 AM
    The copper negative metal battery conductor developed metal fatigue and broke off.
    Maple/Chase Thermostat #09600. The copper negative battery conductor developed metal fatigue and broke off.
    Now the 2 batteries are making intermittant connections and the thermostat
    Shows a message that the batteries need replacing no matter many times I replace them. Finally got it to work by bending and inserting a paper clip to complete the circuit, but would prefer a more reliable fix. Any ideas?
    Note: The batter connector terminals on the thermo develop corrosion over a time and have to be cleaned using emery cloth or a small file to allow current to flow. Be sure to check yours. After 20 years my #09600 thermo works fine, but MC
    Support says they have no fix and to buy a new one. How Green! But also a tribute to the engineering and design for reliability, except for a very simple part!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 12, 2018, 12:08 PM
    Don't blame the manufacturer for not replacing for free, a cheap 20 year old part. Be glad you figured out how it could be jury rig it, so you could save up to eventually replace it with a new one. Probably wouldn't have failed had you just checked the batteries regularly.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2018, 08:20 PM
    Considering 20 years of bending the battery tabs to insert new batteries, not a bad deal. Get a new digital unit, cheap and work great.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heavy metal poisoning from copper! [ 5 Answers ]

I had an IUD made of copper for 7.5 years that I just made my doctor remove. They kept telling me my IUD wasn't a problem, but I still have a uteran cyst + my psychological well-being was changed so drastically that I became suicidal every month just prior to my period & my periods were so heavy...

Dead bolt installation in a metal door specifics, Can it be done to all metal doors? [ 2 Answers ]

Can all you install a deadbolt in all metal doors. Or are there some with foam core construction that you should not attempt installing a deadbolt. If it is possible on a metal with foam core residential door (1987 construction) Do the screws that hold the deadbolt to the edge of the door...

Am replacing metal roofing on bay windows Can shingles be placed over metal roof? [ 3 Answers ]

Metal is not copper. Also, does anyone know what the overhang should be (for shingles on bay window roof). Thanks

My Altima sounds like metal is scraping metal when I go in reverse and turn left. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1994 Nissan Altima GXE. I had some brake work and front wheel work done around Christmas time. The control leg, an axle, and some other small things were replaces, along with the entire brake system. However, when I turn left or go in reverse, I hear this shrill, metal on metal sound that...

View more questions Search