Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nick Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2005, 11:23 AM
    1099-MISC for Web Hosting Services
    This is a great place. Thanks in advance for any help.

I usually file a 1040A jointly with my wife and I find it to be pretty straightforward. This past year, however, I provided Web space to a moderately big site. It's pretty informal - I don't have invoices or anything like that - but the site asked me to complete a W-9.

Now I have a 1099-MISC with $1037 in Box 7, Nonemployee compensation.

1) Where do I report this on Form 1040A or 1040?

2) Is this considered self-employment income? This is a hobby for me and I only rent out space to one site. I do not manage the server. I pay for Web space for my site, but I have more space than I need so I resell some of it to this other site. I don't consider it a business at all. It's more like, "I don't use my car on the weekends, so you can use it if you give me twenty bucks and fill up the tank."

If I include this income, I think I will owe something like $200 more in payments than I otherwise would, so this kind of stinks. Loaning out my car wouldn't call for a 1099-MISC.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 19, 2005, 08:55 PM
    Nick:

Sorry, but that's not how the IRS looks at it. The 1099-MISC dictates that you have to file Form 1040 with a Schedule C or C-EZ.

You can also pro-rate your costs to rent the server space and claim that as an expense on the Schedule C/C-EZ. If you think about it, I am sure you can come up with some other legitimate expenses to offset some of that $1,037.

BTW, loaning out the car for $20 a weekend would be considered a business if your friend generated a 1099-MISC for $1,040 ($20 x 52 weekends).
    Nick Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2005, 10:26 PM
    Thanks for the fast reply. Schedule C, here I come!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099-misc, ss-8, etc. Need help! [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, hopefully someone can help me here. This last summer I worked for the University of Michigan as an undergraduate student researcher. I worked under a professor and in my opinion was CLEARLY an employee. However, I recently received a good old 1099-MISC form from U of Michigan stating the...

1099-Misc [ 4 Answers ]

I work for a real estate investment company and they had me do some odd jobs in the evenings. I posted signs and mailed flyers for them. I also received two commission checks for referring investors and a performance bonus for having a house sell at an open house. My question is why I received a...

1099 Misc not sure? [ 1 Answers ]

I received a 1099 Misc. for money earned in assisting someone else in her clothing trunk shows in 2005. Not sure how to complete sch c for business name and if I can deduct mileage, meals, etc. that I paid for during these times. Also assist in clothes deliveries from these shows so have some...

1099-misc for h-1 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Can a person on H-1B working for only one employer receive 1099-MISC instead of W-2 from that employer? Thanks.

F1, 1099-misc and w-2s [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am a new member. Its nice to see so many people here who can help. Here's my situation: My status in 2004: Student on F1 (I still am on F1 until my H1 is approved) Was attending school full-time until: August 19, 2004 Working on OPT since August 20, 2004. My nationality: Indian I...

View more questions Search