Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rscott75 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2018, 12:26 PM
    Law suit in Florida
    I am being sued by a private student loan company in Florida. I did co-sign for my daughter in 2006 for the loan. She got into financial trouble and could not make payments. She or I have never heard from the creditor.

I had to file bankruptcy in 2009 and was discharged in March 2015. In May of 2016 I received a petition stating that I was being sued for the unpaid balance, interest fees, late fees and atty fees. I answered the petition in the time required and answered their Request for Admissions as well as sent them my own and a Request for Production.

The admit to losing the Original Note. The signature on the note they have is not mine thou my daughters is correct. Also, there are two documents they have that were notarized in two different states, NY and VA.

They have never tried to collect from daughter, she lives in IN. I am defending myself as Per se. I don't agree with the amount they have.

Can I use the fact that the signature is not mine and the two documents that were notarized in two different states as a defence? The two documents do not meet the guidelines for Notarization in Florida. One of the documents states the amount I owe and the other one is when the note was sold to another creditor.
    Thanks
    Rscott75
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 8, 2018, 04:10 PM
    If you listed and included her loan in your bankruptcy, then you should be OK.
    If you did not include it, then you will owe it. And they may sue and get a judgement and a garnishment

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Florida mortgage foreclosure, suit against heirs [ 8 Answers ]

My dad died 2 years ago. He owned a home in Florida and one in another state. I was executor in the other state but never opened probate in Florida because the house was in the red so attorneys in Florida told me to just walk away, don't do anything. So for two years I have done nothing. Then I...

How does one respond to a quiet title suit where original owner in suit is deceased [ 7 Answers ]

Original owner named in suit and his heir to the small land lot (low value) are deceased. There have been 3 more owners since.

Married in vegas, live in Florida and I want the divorce. Can I do it in Florida? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I got married in Vegas.. I'm from Guatemala, we are still in the process of legalizating me, but we've been having a lot of problems, and I'm actually contemplating a divorce. We live in Florida... do I have to go back to vegas to get a divorce, can I do it from here in Florida.. what about...

Time frame for Florida law suit? [ 5 Answers ]

I was sued in Oct 08. Me and another person was named in suite. I am in Florida, land lord. Sued for bogus slip and fall. Other named person file BK 13 in Nov. 08. Since then I have not heard any more from them. We only have the 2 low end properties witch are tied up with BK13

Suit [ 1 Answers ]

I'm going to a evening concert, (jazz). Does a light tan suit sound OK. What shirt color??

View more questions Search