Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    draftd Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2018, 06:19 AM
    Shower Drain
    Have a bad smell coming from shower drain. Seems to have gotten worse last couple months.

Water drains well and some water stays in drain as if the p-trap is working.

Tried cleaning drain with brush, baking soda, white vinegar, and very hot water... but did not help.

It is a custom built shower, though I did not see how it was done. It looks like a bottom pan was put in place with some type of marble sides.

Wondering if possibly drain connection is leaking under pan.
    House is on a slab, so no easy way to get under pan that I know of.

Hoping someone here can shed some light on what might be wrong and my best options.

I'll include a picture of drain, which to me looks unusual. As if the pipe comes up and drain fits around it, instead of drain fitting into pipe... but I'm not familiar with such.
    ( it has a snap on chrome cover )

Appreciate any advice.
    Attached Images

ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2018, 07:58 AM
    Not sure from your picture but there should be a top flange over the stub out. Can you see a rubber sleeve over the drain pipe? Last one I did had a compression flange on the pan that slid over the drain pipe. Looks like drain water would leak into the slab. Is there a name on the drain cover? At a minimum, I would silicone the open spots to seal things up better. You might want to pour some bleach around the open areas, let dry and then silicone. You may be able to remove what is there and start over. Oatey makes shower drain kits. Check at Home Depot for samples.

Nov 4, 2018, 11:03 AM
    No name on cover. No signs or feel of any rubber.

All darker colored parts are metal.
    What you are refering to and what looks like open slots, is also metal, and I think it is
    actually part of the upper metal section.

The lighter color areas between the metal pieces seem to be some type of silicone.

The 2" PVC pipe does not have a clean cut and the right side is a little lower than the left side.

The 2" PVC pipe seems to go into a light grey colored pipe that seems to have a downward
    bevel right near the water line.

Thanks for the reply.
    Attached Images

ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2018, 12:51 PM
    Well, the second picture clears thing up a bit. The cover just sits down inside the 2" PVC stub. That looks like a brass pan connector. I hope they properly sealed under the large ring. I used to use plumbers putty but now only use silicone. Under the slotted area is a neoprene ring which should seal the drain. The slots, where the silicone is located, are there for a tool that tightens an inner ring down to compress the neoprene seal. Without the tool it is hard to tighten the ring. Check the video to see how it was, or should have been done. Another possibility is a plugged vent somewhere down the line. When water from the shower or toilet goes by, a plugged vent will cause a "burp" that allows sewer gas back into the house. Someone more advanced than I may come along and give you better info. Hope I was of help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHRwNZnli6E
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 4, 2018, 04:26 PM
    My 2 cents: It is very common for shower drains to smell. That happens because of "slime" accumulated on the walls of the drain - a.I. body oils, body hair, shampoo residue, dry dermis, etc. Basically, what it is is a biological matter rotting inside your drain. You will need to pour in some liquid that kills bacteria. Bleach can do, Lysol may do the same. There are number of other products on market available to deal with this problem. Do your research. Pour it in overnight, brush the walls of the drain with a brush dipped in bleach (or what ever product you select to use ), and repeat for several days in a row.

Hope that helps

Milo

Nov 5, 2018, 06:26 AM
    Thank ma0641... that is surely helpful... and the video gives me an idea of how it is put together.

If it would be leaking from top seal, plumbers putty no longer working, that has nothing
    to do with the neoprene ring seal, as they are different sections ?

The only thing I could possibly change or get to would be the neoprene ring seal,
    as the top seal is attached to the pan, and tightened from under the pan, before the pan is put in place ?

Nov 5, 2018, 06:34 AM
    Thanks Milo

Will look into your suggestions.

You mentioned " very common for shower drains to smell ."

What makes them different... are you're referring to both shower and bathtub drains in general ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a maax shower drain be replaced on a crooked drain pipe on second floor [ 1 Answers ]

The plumber inspected my shower drain upstairs, and said the drain pipe going to the drain is crooked. Builders plumber made mistake in lining up the pipe. This home is approximately 6 yrs. Old. The shower is made of fake marble slabs. The drain is leaking down on the first floor. The plumber...

Can an Oatey ABS No-caulk shower base drain be used with a copper drain pipe? [ 5 Answers ]

I am replacing a free standing Spartan shower with an inexpensive Swanstone free standing shower. The Swanstone comes with an Oatey ABS drain. My question is: can this plastic drain be used with my copper drain pipe? The pipe is extending up over the cement floor by an inch. I believe that I must...

New Shower was connected to Toilet drain and now we get smell from shower drain. [ 1 Answers ]

Used baking soda a vinegar to clean drain, but smell continues to be present. Read that I should have the air vent checked to see if it's clogged, but I get no smell from the other shower leading me to think it's just the gas backing up from the pipes. Also, how does an air vent get clogged? ...

Shower drain leaks. I have poured water down the drain to living room help [ 1 Answers ]

I noticed a tiny hole in my drywall and a water stain on the ceiling and a constant drip from the ceiling, even when the shower is not in use. I did a test by pouring water down the shower drain, and it immediately went through to below. Also, my shower head and leaks constantly. Any help to...

View more questions Search