Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 9, 2018, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I was really surprised that she came out with the 1/1024th native blood information. It just basically proved that she was being less than honest about her heritage.
    She, born in Oklahoma, has always said it was "family stories passed down through generations." We ALL have family stories passed down through the generations. (Wanna hear some of mine?)

And yet there's this rule that was generally (and unfortunately) accepted as truth:

"The one-drop rule is a social and legal principle of racial classification that was historically prominent in the United States asserting that any person with even one ancestor of sub-Saharan African ancestry ("one drop" of black blood) is considered black (Negro in historical terms), its implications of racial purity being that anyone unable to pass for white in the context of the US racial hierarchy is assigned the lower status of being non-white or colored. This concept evolved over the course of the 19th century and became codified into the law of some states in the early 20th century."
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

Why can't we give Elizabeth Warren the same "authenticity"? And hey, send your saliva to Ancestry to find out who you are.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2018, 11:37 AM
    She, born in Oklahoma, has always said it was "family stories passed down through generations."
    It went much, much farther than that. https://elizabethwarrenwiki.org/eliz...e-controversy/

Find out who I am? I already know that. Unlike Senator Warren, I'm not claiming to be something I am not.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 9, 2018, 11:50 AM
    Find out who I am? I already know that. Unlike Senator Warren, I'm not claiming to be something I am not.
    But she IS!!!!!!!!

You might be very surprised by what shows up in your DNA.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2018, 12:10 PM
    You might be very surprised by what shows up in your DNA.
    I spit in the tube because my family insisted on it . I think the only real value to it will be if I become rogue . Then the police can obtain my dna sample . As for determining my heritage ? A complete waste of money. I can trace my family tree to the Norman invasion of Italy .My name implies a direct link to the Norman King Roger . So you would think my dna would have some traces from Northern France . Maybe at least 1/1024 %

There is one and only one issue with her claim. She used it to claim minority status at to gain an advantage when seeking professorships . Who was denied those positions because of her fraud ? We will never know .
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2018, 12:13 PM
    But she IS!!!!!!!
    Well then, there are now two people who believe that Warren is native, you and her.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 9, 2018, 12:20 PM
    She used it to claim minority status at to gain an advantage when seeking professorships . Who was denied those positions because of her fraud ? We will never know .
    What advantage did she get? She certainly was worthy of any advantage just because of her skills and intelligence. And those check-the-box culture questions on forms are so stupid anyway. Who cares if you're a descendant of a Norman king or if I'm a product of German farmers. It's who we are and what good we can accomplish that matter.
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2018, 12:28 PM
    What advantage did she get? Hard to say, and maybe it was zero, but it was still a ridiculous lie. I think she would have been better off if she had just confessed to having been careless with the truth instead of that silly DNA test amounting to nothing approaching real indian heritage. Most of us have done dumb things in our lives and she would have been but very little different in the eyes of most people. She certainly is more honest than the most recent democrat nominee for pres.
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2018, 12:35 PM
    No ;it was a feather in Harvard's and Penns hat to claim they had a native professor . Harvard made the claim in 1995-6 when she worked there . She was listed in 2005 by Penn as a minority in their Minority Equity Report . On page 16 of the report, she is listed as a winner of the school’s Lindback Award in 1994. Her name is italicized and bolded to indicate her status as a minority faculty member.(table 11)
    https://almanac.upenn.edu/archive/vo...ity_equity.pdf

I Told Harvard, UPenn I Was Native American: Warren
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 9, 2018, 12:41 PM
    Let me know when you get around to discussing a real liar and cheater will you?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 9, 2018, 12:51 PM
    What advantage did she get? Hard to say, and maybe it was zero, but it was still a ridiculous lie.
    It had not yet been proven *cough* and it was something she had been told all her life. Even you, tomder, in the same situation, would have checked that box.
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2018, 01:28 PM
    It had not yet been proven *cough* and it was something she had been told all her life. Even you, tomder, in the same situation, would have checked that box
    IF IF IF that's truly the case, then why wouldn't she just admit that she was "mistaken" and move on? Why the DNA test? And even worse, why use the results of the DNA test as supposed proof of her claim? She has only made matters worse for herself by using a strange story to support an even stranger story.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 9, 2018, 01:30 PM
    Why the DNA test?
    Because she too wanted to know for sure.

why use the results of the DNA test as supposed proof of her claim?
    She has more Native American blood running in her veins than you and I do.

Dr. Carlos Bustamante, a professor of genetics at Stanford University, said an analysis of Warren’s genome turned up evidence of Native American ancestry.

"In the senator’s genome, we did find five segments of Native American ancestry, with very high confidence, where we believe the error rate is less than one in 1,000,” Dr. Bustamante says.
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2018, 01:34 PM
    She has more Native American blood running in her veins than you and I do.
    How would you know that? You have no idea what my ancestry is.

Because she wanted to know for sure? That would have been a good thing to know before she started checking boxes.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 9, 2018, 01:51 PM
    How would you know...
    Do you have Native American blood running in your veins?

Because she wanted to know for sure? That would have been a good thing to know before she started checking boxes.
    If you had been told since birth that you have Indian blood running through your veins, which box would you check?
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2018, 02:12 PM
    Do you have Native American blood running in your veins?
    Ahh, but you are asking a little on the late side!

I hope I would have had enough sense to realize that checking the box was a serious issue, and would have made sure I had it right.

As it turns out, if she was told she had "Indian blood running" through her veins, then someone owes her an explanation.
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2018, 02:18 PM
    If you had been told since birth that you have Indian blood running through your veins, which box would you check?
    please ...you have more integrity than that . And those dna tests to determine ancestry are a joke IMO . They know by my name that my family is from Italy ,and what region because my family name is prominent in Southern Italy and Sicily. They know from other information provided that I have Irish blood and guess that anyone from Sicily probably has some African blood . Wow ! that dna cr@p is amazing !!!

So by Warren's standards I could claim minority status for admissions purposes . Or maybe I'd just self identify as a minority women since the standards of proof have been lowered to such levels .
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2018, 02:50 PM
    Hello:

Here's who I am..

https://www.myheritage.com/dna/ethnicity/intro/D9R7CP1FCT9JGSRI5T87ACI8E1KMGH1LEKRNKM9BCDMNKQ3GE9 JK4LAC6HD38R25F5SJ4DRPE50KUQ3ACL878JI2CD732GR2ED73 2MG?utm

Doncha just love the music?

excon
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 9, 2018, 09:23 PM
    You must have taken a different boat than I did. Nice music though but what happened to the drummer?
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2018, 01:27 PM
    Hey Tal, what about the banjo picker?? Where was he?

Here's my heritage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrlqQ1_vZVE

Enjoy!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trump the master of the world [ 20 Answers ]

Does anyone have an explanation for his latest mistake Donald Trump recognises Jerusalem as Israel's capital, in reversal of decades of policy - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) Trump has declared Jerusalem the capital of Israel, the Israeli have Tel Aviv as their capital and...

The Strange World of Donald Trump [ 15 Answers ]

Here are some current positions of Trump reported today; 1- Resurrected belief that Obama was not born in the United States, 2- Denies it is his voice on the notorious "p****y" tape after acknowledging it IS his voice and apologizing for it, 3- Fully believes vote fraud by illegal immigrants...

The Ignorance of Trump Rattles the World. [ 46 Answers ]

Not surprisingly, Trump has entirely missed the point of deterrence. Retaliation is promised as a response to prevent the other side from ATTACKING. NOT when the other side threatens. With his incredibly stupid "fire and fury" comment, Trump has put this nation in the desperate position of...

Trump's Fantasy World [ 22 Answers ]

I've said this in other places. Trump lives in a fantasy world. I'm not sure he can fully tell the difference between reality and fantasy. Here is another bit of proof of that. In this video Trump is seen urging people to view the video of Obama's recent encounter with a pro Trump heckler. Trump...

View more questions Search