Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2018, 12:49 PM
    A Tool for Dating Matthew?
    Scholarship both conservative and liberal usually puts the dates of the gospels after the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70. In 1976, John A. T. Robinson, hardly a bastion of conservatism, argued in Redating the New Testament that all the NT books could be dated before this event. He came at it from several angles, but I think I may have found one he missed.

Matt 27:8 says the field the priests bought with Judas' money was called the Field of Blood "to this day."
    Matt 28:15 the fake story from the soldiers is still circulated among the Jews today.

Both statements suggest that these things were going on in a non-destroyed Judea and Jerusalem. After the Roman trouncing, the Jews were scattered all over the Roman empire, as we know. So these two subtle statements seem to indicate that the temple was still standing, the field was still called akeldama, and the soldiers were still spreading their false tale.

Any thoughts?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2018, 03:30 AM
    You would think the fact that no one mentioned the destruction of Jerusalem, especially in passages such as Matt. 24, would argue in favor of a date prior to AD 70. John didn't mention either, and his gospel is widely dated as post AD 70, but his book was less historical and more didactic, so perhaps that would explain it.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2018, 09:30 AM
    Agreed, Robinson's reasoning convinced me 30 years ago. But I'm mainly interested in these specific phrases as ways to determine the latest possible date the book could have been written.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2018, 09:35 AM
    I've never heard your evidence before, but I would think it is compelling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Matthew 6:5 - 6:8 [ 12 Answers ]

5"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is...

Matthew 13 [ 5 Answers ]

Hallo, Jakester, I think we are both interpreting Jesus' parable in a similar way by using different words. Your explanation corresponds, of course, to what Matthew is saying, while mine only pretends to explain the parable in a simpler way. In Jesus’ parable the farmer is supposed...

Monitoring Ad Click Tool and Autoresponder tool [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I want the details of the AD Click Tools and Autoresponder tools. Regards, Stany

View more questions Search