Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2018, 07:33 AM
    There is something I don't understand about the GM situation. If I was a GM employee, I would be one of the first to say, "Suppose we all take a 20% pay cut? Would that help keep this plant open and lower the price of GM cars so as to increase sales?" I wouldn't like a 20% pay cut, but it would be much better than a 100% pay cut, and yet that never seems to be done. The last I heard, it costs the Big Three about 75 dollars an hour to employ a worker. I don't see how that can be sustainable, but you never seem to see management and the union come together for the benefit of everyone.
    It isn't really about the workers salaries . GM and other auto makers have to forecast what the market will be BEFORE they tool up their plants . GM bet on sedans and electric cars (probably because the government owned shares of GM after TARP) The American consumers have chosen SUVs and light trucks as their transportation of choice. So now GM had to make a call ....could they retool the existing plants or make the cars they mostly sell overseas closer to their projected market ? Also ;I can't emphasis enough how much of a disaster the steel and aluminum tariffs are to the auto and soon many other industries . It was a disaster the last time it was tried . But Trump is so committed to this protectionist folly that he will not see how terrible call it was.
    http://www.tradepartnership.com/pdf_...02jobstudy.pdf
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2018, 07:56 AM
    It isn't really about the workers salaries . GM and other auto makers have to forecast what the market will be BEFORE they tool up their plants . GM bet on sedans and electric cars (probably because the government owned shares of GM after TARP) The American consumers have chosen SUVs and light trucks as their transportation of choice. So now GM had to make a call ....could they retool the existing plants or make the cars they mostly sell overseas closer to their projected market ? Also ;I can't emphasis enough how much of a disaster the steel and aluminum tariffs are to the auto and soon many other industries . It was a disaster the last time it was tried . But Trump is so committed to this protectionist folly that he will not see how terrible call it was.
    Interesting comments. I see your point, but if salaries across the board were lower, car prices would lower and that would give GM a competitive edge. I'm not sure about the steel and aluminum tariffs. It will certainly be a boost to the steel and aluminum industries here.

Libs should stop whining about it waiting for the government to fix their problems .
    Exactly right. Libs have bought into the false idea that government is here to make our lives happier and easier. No, government should serve four functions: 1. national defense. 2. establish a good system of courts. 3. preserve peace internally. 4. promote the general welfare.

Nowhere in that list do we see any notion of making us happy and giving us easy lives. That's our job, individually.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 28, 2018, 08:06 AM
    Read the Constitution all 4 are in there and more.
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2018, 08:14 AM
    Read the Constitution all 4 are in there and more.
    I was basically quoting the preamble of the Constitution. There are six basic functions of the federal governemnt listed. I gave you four. The first is very general and refers to the old Articles of Confederation being inadequate. The sixth refers to the future preservation of liberty. Perhaps I should list it as well, but it seems more looking to the future than the present. At any rate, here they are:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence,[note 1] promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2018, 12:19 PM
    It will certainly be a boost to the steel and aluminum industries here.
    IT did boost the steel industry a little the last time it was tried under GW Bush . But it so negatively impacted the rest of the economy ;especially industries that use steel like auto and construction ,that they were dropped in less than 2 years . 200,000 workers in U.S. manufacturing lost their jobs as a result of the tariffs. For comparison, the entire U.S. steel industry employed 197,000 at the time.
    Expert

Nov 28, 2018, 12:53 PM
    It really makes sense to let a guy with many bankruptcies, and no credit at the banks in the town he lives in, run fiscal policy for the country! We sure got what we paid for... a lying, cheating dufus who does some really stupid stuff.
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2018, 02:42 PM
    Yeah. We could have had that paragon of virtue, Hillary Clinton. Thank goodness she's never done any lying or cheating, not to mention being responsible for the deaths of 4 Americans in Benghazi
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2018, 03:08 PM
    It really makes sense to let a guy with many bankruptcies, and no credit at the banks in the town he lives in, run fiscal policy for the country!
    His financial advisors are outstanding especially his Chief of Economic Advisors Larry Kudlow and Steve Moore .
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2018, 03:28 PM
    It really makes sense to let a guy with many bankruptcies, and no credit at the banks in the town he lives in, run fiscal policy for the country!
    Hard to argue with the results. He's miles ahead of where Mr. Obama had us in his eight years.
    Expert

Nov 28, 2018, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    His financial advisors are outstanding especially his Chief of Economic Advisors Larry Kudlow and Steve Moore .
    Followed them for MANY years, total supply siders, so no surprise you love them.

Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Hard to argue with the results. He's miles ahead of where Mr. Obama had us in his eight years.
    You must be near sighted.
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2018, 06:11 PM
    Followed them for MANY years, total supply siders, so no surprise you love them.
    damn straight . AND they are free traders . Hoping they talk Trump out of his disasterous trade polices towards our allies . China ? They need some areas of their trade abuses smacked down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

You fly aircraft carrier with foam planes [ 1 Answers ]

I had a toy when I was young that was an aircraft carrier about 3 ft long with foam planes that you launched from the deck of the carrier. Would anybody happen to remember the name of this toy or have any pictures available.

Any have a you fly it aircraft carrier [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking for pictures, info advert or the toy it self foam us enterprise aircraft carrier with jet you can launch and fly from late 70s

Employer left country.. Fed, state, ss, and medicare withheld but not paid to govt [ 3 Answers ]

My son worked at a Gas Station / Convenience store. It was one of a few stores owned by the same person, an Indian National. The owner suddenly and unexpectedly closed the stores. Employees were able to obtain their last paychecks. The pay stubs show all the appropriat deductions but it is now...

Social Security Tax / Medicare Tax refund when I left usa [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir or Madam, I came to US as a research scholar (J1 visa). I've worked under J1 status from 04/2006 to 04/2010, and paid Social Security and Medicare fee for 2 years. However, I am leaving US soon, and no longer work and retire in US. So my questions will be: 1. Am I eligible to claim...

The father of my son and my fince just left.. and left us with on money and food in pa [ 1 Answers ]

We've been together for almost 4 years and we live in a rented house. He just left with his sister and did not say where he was going. He didn't leave me any money, food pluse our son was sick and needed to go to the doctor. I know where he is at but his family won't let me talk to him.

View more questions Search