Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2018, 07:52 PM
    Wow! I guess I'm being too subtle, too philosophical. Do you know what I Cor. 13 is about? As for what I believe about the Bible ... that's a whole 'nother topic.
    I know exactly what it talks about, but if it's not the truth, then what difference does it make? You're being evasive. What you believe about the Bible is the foundation for what you believe about 1 Cor. 13. You can't separate one from the other. You sure are reluctant to nail down what you believe and why you believe it.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 28, 2018, 08:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I know exactly what it talks about, but if it's not the truth, then what difference does it make? You're being evasive. What you believe about the Bible is the foundation for what you believe about 1 Cor. 13. You can't separate one from the other. You sure are reluctant to nail down what you believe and why you believe it.
    I am a preacher's daughter, have taught Sunday school and adult Bible class for years, attended a Lutheran teachers college, taught in Lutheran grade schools, attended an ecumenical neighborhood Bible class for at least ten years, sent my two kids to a Lutheran grade school (pre-K-8th grade). I have grown in grace and am not a literalist.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 28, 2018, 08:15 PM
    Jesus was a Jew, so why haven't you converted JL?
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2018, 08:23 PM
    I am a preacher's daughter, have taught Sunday school and adult Bible class for years, attended a Lutheran teachers college, taught in Lutheran grade schools, attended an ecumenical neighborhood Bible class for at least ten years, sent my two kids to a Lutheran grade school (pre-K-8th grade). I have grown in grace and am not a literalist.
    A lot of nice information, but I still don't understand what you believe other than you are not a literalist with the exception of, I suppose, 1 Cor. 13.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 28, 2018, 08:36 PM
    A lot of nice information, but I still don't understand what you believe other than you are not a literalist with the exception of, I suppose, 1 Cor. 13.
    Then let's take this into PMs. It's not part of this thread.
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2018, 08:42 PM
    OK with me.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2018, 10:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Jesus was a Jew, so why haven't you converted JL?
    Get a life please, Jesus may have been a Jew by birth but he was more and he founded anew covenant, leaving the old Jewish covenant behind. Being Jewish can't make any one righteous, so why would you convert?
    Expert

Oct 29, 2018, 02:40 AM
    I see what your saying Clete, but if being Jewish doesn't make you right, then how can being a Christian make you right? Or is this part of some evolution or something? I just find it fascinating that we humans can move down the road and start a brand new religion. Don't you? I can certainly see the inspirational value of that.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2018, 07:15 AM
    Neither of you has any way of knowing if they would or wouldn't.
    Hello j:

Well, I AM a Jew, after all.. I KNOW my community.. I could be wrong, of course. I was wrong once back in 1997.

I was in the restaurant business. You didn't have to pass a test to be MY customer.. Yes, I'm SURE I did serve some rotten Nazis.

Plus, as a Jew IN business, I KNEW that the courthouse was the place for solving disputes. But, as mentioned, there wouldn't BE any disputes because my only worry about my customers was whether they'd pay me. I didn't give a sh*t what their religion or politics were..

excon
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2018, 07:33 AM
    Plus, as a Jew IN business, I KNEW that the courthouse was the place for solving disputes. But, as mentioned, there wouldn't BE any disputes because my only worry about my customers was whether they'd pay me. I didn't give a sh*t what their religion or politics were..
    Yes. That's you, and I get that. But you have no way of knowing what the other thousands of Jewish businessmen/women in American would do. We are talking about what the law should compel someone to do, not what your personal intentions are.

I just find it fascinating that we humans can move down the road and start a brand new religion.
    It had something to do with a man being raised bodily from the dead.
    Expert

Oct 29, 2018, 07:57 AM
    All due respect but can you prove that or are you just taking the word of some ancient man. I am in no way dismissing your faith or belief, but why should I believe you or your bible?
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2018, 08:33 AM
    All due respect but can you prove that or are you just taking the word of some ancient man. I am in no way dismissing your faith or belief, but why should I believe you or your bible?
    Actually you are dismissing the Christian faith, but that's your right. Taking the word of some ancient man? You need to investigate the evidence. You plainly have not done so.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2018, 01:07 PM
    Ex why not reconstitute the JDL ? Meir Kahane was always one of my heros .
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2018, 02:36 PM
    Now Tal don't get your knickers in a knot. I'll refer you as I have done others to the book "evidence that demands a verdict", perhaps that will convince you
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2018, 02:53 PM
    Clete, we agree on something! Evidence Which Demands a Verdict is a great place to start. If you really try to think about it as you read, then it takes a while to get through it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2018, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Ex why not reconstitute the JDL ? Meir Kahane was always one of my heros .
    Hello tom:

That's a terrific idea..

excon, Jewish warrior
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2018, 06:01 AM
    Clete, we agree on something! Evidence Which Demands a Verdict is a great place to start. If you really try to think about it as you read, then it takes a while to get through it.
    Yes I've been through it a couple of times, but I don't need it because he revealed himself to me, got my attention you might say
    Expert

Oct 30, 2018, 04:32 PM
    Well I guess I should buy the book if I want evidence of what you say, but cannot articulate.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 30, 2018, 04:41 PM
    Well I guess I should buy the book if I want evidence of what you say, but cannot articulate.
    Brace yourself for a fundamentalist read. One goodreads commenter said, "This book suffers profusely from circular reasoning, "facts" with no support, and sources that don't matter."
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2018, 06:04 PM
    Brace yourself for a fundamentalist read. One goodreads commenter said, "This book suffers profusely from circular reasoning, "facts" with no support, and sources that don't matter."
    1. Have you read it?

2. Another reviewer wrote, "Originally published in 1972, Evidence that Demands a Verdict by Josh McDowell has been a trusted resource for believers seeking to always be prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks for a reason for the hope that is in them (1 Peter 3:15). But as McDowell notes in the foreword, we are to do so with gentleness and respect. That is certainly the tone that comes through throughout this book."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

You fly aircraft carrier with foam planes [ 1 Answers ]

I had a toy when I was young that was an aircraft carrier about 3 ft long with foam planes that you launched from the deck of the carrier. Would anybody happen to remember the name of this toy or have any pictures available.

Any have a you fly it aircraft carrier [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking for pictures, info advert or the toy it self foam us enterprise aircraft carrier with jet you can launch and fly from late 70s

Employer left country.. Fed, state, ss, and medicare withheld but not paid to govt [ 3 Answers ]

My son worked at a Gas Station / Convenience store. It was one of a few stores owned by the same person, an Indian National. The owner suddenly and unexpectedly closed the stores. Employees were able to obtain their last paychecks. The pay stubs show all the appropriat deductions but it is now...

Social Security Tax / Medicare Tax refund when I left usa [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir or Madam, I came to US as a research scholar (J1 visa). I've worked under J1 status from 04/2006 to 04/2010, and paid Social Security and Medicare fee for 2 years. However, I am leaving US soon, and no longer work and retire in US. So my questions will be: 1. Am I eligible to claim...

The father of my son and my fince just left.. and left us with on money and food in pa [ 1 Answers ]

We've been together for almost 4 years and we live in a rented house. He just left with his sister and did not say where he was going. He didn't leave me any money, food pluse our son was sick and needed to go to the doctor. I know where he is at but his family won't let me talk to him.

View more questions Search