Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 21, 2018, 06:10 AM
    Converting propane trailer heater to electric
    I believe this is a good question for MA. I have a seasonal vacation trailer that is equipped for hydro, propane and water. The heater is presently run off my two propane tanks and just one can be emptied in two cold mornings. I would like to know if the trailer heater can be converted to electric.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2018, 02:53 PM
    I doubt it. The physical configuration is very different. You would have to rip out all the insides of the gas unit to install heat strips, rewire to 240 volts and make other changes. Perhaps a more efficient unit would help. If you are camping where power is supplied, I would use electric space heaters. They do make small roof mounted heat pumps but if it is that cold, probably not a good heat source.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 21, 2018, 03:31 PM
    I agree, you can just replace it,
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 22, 2018, 03:40 AM
    Thanks for your help, both of you. I don't need a heat pump. It isn't that cold in Prince Edward County during the summer. I only need a small amount of heat when season starts May 15th in the morning; and when closing up early October during the night. I guess I will stick with propane. My trailer is fully equipped unit, 29 ft. long.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2018, 01:04 PM
    Are the floors insulated on your camper? Down in GA, we camp all year long! I am sitting on the front porch of my mountain cabin. 34* F this morning at 8AM. Now it is 64*F at 4PM. We use this house almost every weekend and for weeks in the summer. Propane heat and cooking. Just filled up with 180 gallons at $280. I own the 250 gallon tank. 1400 sg. ft. log home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting Gas water heater and heat to electric. [ 4 Answers ]

I bought my home in November of last year from my grandmother... I was told everything was electric. It's not. And natural gas right now is f'n expensive. I have central air, the unit is only a couple of years old and still under warranty. What I am wondering is Can I use that same unit for the...

Can I convert my propane water heater to natural gas or electric? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I convert my LP water heater to natural gas or electric?

Converting from propane to electric heat [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 4000 sq ft house and I have propane for heating. My heating bill for the winter is 700-800 dollars per month. I live in dallas tx. I would like to to replace my heating system with an electrical heating system. How expensive could this be?

Converting forced ac and heat from propane to electric [ 1 Answers ]

With the propane prices going through the roof, I was wondering how much it would cost and even if it is possible to convert our forced ac/heating from propane to electric? Propane is running close to $5.00/gal. We came from a home that had natural gas. Our gas bill in the summer was about...

Advantages of converting from propane heat to electric heat for home use [ 1 Answers ]

When is it an advantage to convert from propane heat to electric heat in a residential home? Also could you give me a rough idea of what it costs to make this transition? Thank you. :confused:

View more questions Search