Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2018, 03:34 AM
    Please take this survey
    Trying to help a college student collect data for a project . Your help is appreciated . If this generates discussion then all the better .

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WYWFB89
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2018, 05:28 AM
    It tells me I have already taken the survey Tom
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 19, 2018, 07:11 AM
    I've taken the survey already, but for the life of my I can't remember this one as there have been so many. Please refresh me.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 19, 2018, 08:45 AM
    I supposedly have taken this survey, but don't recall taking any surveys within the past three months.
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2018, 10:16 AM
    sorry I copied a link to the survey after the fact .I took the survey ,you didn't . I'll get the link and post again.
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2018, 01:42 PM
    try it now
    Expert

Oct 19, 2018, 02:13 PM
    The ethics of violent video games huh? Violent or not, I must admit they can be addictive, and unhealthy, almost anything can be from booze to cell phones and social networking, but most people don't get carried away by them, unless they just have no friends or better things to do.

I suppose you can blame bad human behavior on anything.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 19, 2018, 02:59 PM
    Okay. I took the survey and disagree with some of the questions, the possible answer choices, and how some of the questions were phrased.
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2018, 03:27 PM
    yeah I called him out on some of the yes/no questions . No doubt his professor will make the same points . I posted it here and other forums to get a more diverse opinion than what he might get from his close circle of acquaintances .
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2018, 03:32 PM
    Tal that was my point. I'm kind of a neophyte and the most violent game I ever played was Galacta or Sinistar .But I know people who have played Doom and other more graphic games and they appear to be normal non-violent people. That being said ,it is up to parents to take charge and put limits on their children.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2018, 06:12 PM
    Violent video games should be restricted just like violent movies are. These games desensitize by constant repetition. You might see a violent movie once but these present the situation over and over again and elicit an emotional response
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2018, 06:22 PM
    they already get ratings . How beyond that would you restrict them ? As always the parents must be the gate keepers .
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 19, 2018, 07:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    As always the parents must be the gate keepers .
    My parents refused to allow me to see the movie "The Parent Trap" when it was released. They wondered what evil was afoot to trap one's parents....
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2018, 01:45 AM
    That's because the parents in 'The Parent Trap' should've been shot before the movie begins . Parents breaking up split up twins and never tell the other she has a twin ? Really ? How cruel !And what idiot judge signed off on that plan ? The parents are lucky that the story line wasn't the twins plotting to wack them .

Yeah I get it . My parents wouldn't let me watch 'West Side Story' ;one of the all time great musicals ,even though all my friends were watching it .I survived ,and they had a point .We would go to the play ground and do a reenactment of the rumble scene . That's what kids our age got out of the movie ;not the Shakespearian tragedy ,not the brilliance of the music by Bernstein and Sondheim ,the choreography of Jerome Robbins. I know it is not an exact comparison . The real point being that if it isn't the parent or guardian ,then who decides ?
    Expert

Oct 20, 2018, 02:15 PM
    Agree Tom, its up to the parents/guardians and even though when we had kids there were no violent video games, we watched the movies and TV shows with our kids and I will admit though the exposure to the violent video games came with playing them with the grandkids.

Thus my response in the survey "It's only a video game" was straight from their mouths. Lucky grandkids. In full disclosure though we did have capes and masks like Batman, Superman and boy did we get in trouble for mimicking wrestling moves from the Bruiser, and Vern Gagne! You want to know about Wyatt Earp or Cheyanne?

Video games are just the modern version of TV programming right? Can't remember not being allowed to see anything WG, but it's not the violence in movies graphic as heck, but the sex scenes that boy bring blushes in mixed company.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 20, 2018, 02:39 PM
    Even if parents are strict at home, their kids hang out with other kids whose parents AREN'T strict. My sons played video games at other boys' homes, and I had no say in what they played.
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2018, 06:39 AM
    If we had video games back then my mom would've known because she made it a point to know my friends and their parents . Yeah Tal we played some violent games ….tackle football without pads. ….We'd have gun fights in the woods with air guns muzzle filled with dirt . Maybe the difference was that we felt the impact of a hit
    . You don't feel the impact of death and destruction from this side of a video screen.
    Expert

Oct 21, 2018, 09:50 AM
    I just think there are many more important factors besides TV, and video games to explain why people are prone to violence. Violent humans is really nothing new in the grand scheme of things.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Survey [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I'm doing a debate on competitive sports should be banned because kids can't handle losing, and we're on the affirmative team, so there's a bit of disadvantage there, I'm the third person speaker, so I really need your help to give me some strong points or just some points so that I can use it...

Just a Little survey [ 3 Answers ]

1) how many of you saw/read/ or liked the hunger games? I will tally them at the end 2)how many of you have read any part of the maximum ride series and agree it should be made into a movie? 3)how many of you play/like/love wii fit or wii fit plus? 4)how many of you have never heard of any of...

Survey [ 1 Answers ]

I'm doing a final year project about hygiene and who influences people to practice good food hygiene in their home. In this I'm doing a survey to collect results. So if you are interested please fill out the form. The survey is found at www.hygiene.netfirms.com

And the survey says [ 37 Answers ]

OK all you Obama supporters, tell us why you’re voting for Obama. What proposal of his is going to benefit you, your family, your neighbor, your job, the economy, your country, the world? Specifics please.

View more questions Search