Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lexefx Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2018, 08:45 AM
    Home electrical
    Hey all,

So I had a fluorescent fixture in a closet stop working, like a starter. It was not serviceable so I replaced it. Same blinking occurred. Jiggled the wiring in the ceiling (to the switch) and it triggered the blinking. During one jiggle I heard the wall switch hissing.

I pop off the cover and take a Philips to tighten the lower screw. (flame suit on) As I withdrew the screwdriver I arc against the switch frame and pop the breaker. ( I know the breaker should have been thrown already) I remove the switch from the wall now that the current is off and check tightness on both terminals, and reinstall everything. Throw the breaker back and all appears well, jiggling no longer has an effect and the switch is operating correctly as well the new fluorescent light.

Now I notice when the dryer starts the lights dim more than before (separate circuit) in the whole house. I think the dryer had this effect somewhat before, but it's more pronounced (visible). I'd go as far to say there maybe intermittent random dimming of the lights anywhere in the house.

What happened and how do you fix it?

(Telling me to "call and electrician" is not the answer I'm looking for.)
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2018, 11:36 AM
    I would verify All your service wires are tite from Meter Can to Main Panel(s), Do turn Off Power, Can be corroded or Burnt connections. Burnt or corroded Buss. Any Junctions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mobile home wiring diagram 1962 conner moblie home electrical [ 2 Answers ]

Mobile home electrical wiring diagram for a 1962 conner mobile home

Home Electrical Wiring [ 4 Answers ]

I have a circuit in my basement which is out. I have tracked the problem down to one receptacle which has no power. Checked the neutral and ground are OK, hot has no power. All of the breakers appear OK. I am unable to track back to initial source for this circuit outside of the panel (I.E. another...

Home electrical fuse box [ 2 Answers ]

My Dad has an old fuse box and wants to know how much to replace it to an updated one, he lives in Alhambra, CA. he can't afford much so he's hoping to get someone that will give him a senior discount.

Can substandard electrical wiring installation at home produce electrical arching [ 6 Answers ]

Can substandard electrical wiring installation at home produce electrical arching? Then fire?

Home electrical load [ 14 Answers ]

General situation/question here. I have a ~1000sq/ft ranch serviced by a 100amp panel. We've got electric dryer, water heater, single window air conditioner, a couple computers and a TV. I have a woodshop in the basement and have been looking to get a new table saw but it draws 16amp at...

View more questions Search