Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    docedfrisbee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2018, 11:56 AM
    I changed the breaker and still no power?
    After the power came back on from the hurricane outage, 5 different outlets stopped working. I changed the breaker and still no power. Outlets wires were connected on did not look burned.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 14, 2018, 04:02 PM
    Is there power on both sides of breaker ?
    Is anything else on that breaker working?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2018, 06:12 AM
    Did you reset the breaker after you installed it?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2018, 07:41 AM
    See if you have 240 volts at the panel, or see if any 240 Volt stuff works. Look at the wiring outside your house, and visually follow the 3 wires to the pole and where they attach too. If the receticles are higher or lower than normal, may have lost the Neutral. I have found MANY broke wires just hanging there. Good Luck, Let us know.
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2018, 07:51 AM
    Rereading, it may just be the 1 circuit. If you have no meter to test and reseting doesn't help. Swap wire from another 20 amp breaker.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 15, 2018, 10:49 AM
    Are any of the failing receptacles on GFCI protected circuit.

If so, you must reset the GFCI receptacles first. Otherwise you will not
    Be able to set the Branch Circuit back on.
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2018, 11:14 AM
    Good Point Donf, If GFI, one way to check is look for the loss of neutral as well, as GFI's when they trip, removes the Neutral as well as the Hot.
    Plug Extension Cord in known good outlet so the end can reach one of the bad receptacles, at the end of the cord, you should have 120 volts between hot and neutral, and hot and ground, this will be your reference, Now look for power with Meter/Tester? On the Cords Hot(small slot), and the receptacle's Neutral. If you have power, Neutral is intact, and not a GFI. If no power when connected, neutral is open, then it is likely GFI or Arc Fault. As Both remove neutral when tripped.
    Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I've changed the breaker and still no power to lights or outlets [ 3 Answers ]

Today the lights in my sons room & all outlets stopped working, including the light & half the outlets in my room & the hallway. We have only 1 GFI plug & its in my bathroom which is working fine. We replaced a breaker in the box which says (lights & plugs) and still nothing. We've flipped all the...

Lipo charger changed from batt power to ac power [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Im trying to get some information on wiring up a lipo batt charger to ac power. Just want to confirm if my diagram will work or if I need to do it diff way. Thanks http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/8853/postingcopycu3.jpg

All receptacles quit working, & bathroom switch, changed breaker, still no power. [ 2 Answers ]

We were vacuuming master bedroom, and all of sudden all the receptacles went out, bathroom also and light switch. I got my tester, checked receptacles and get low light when bathroom switch is on, and when I turn the bathroom switch to off the tester shows I have no power to receptacles. I...

View more questions Search