Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    armystongwife71459 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2007, 09:04 PM
    Kittens in dire need of help!!
    Hello all,I am a first timer to this page.So I wasn't sure what catergory to put this under.I am a foster mommy to a beautiful cat who just recently had kittens last month.Before hand I didn't have fleas in my house and now I do,and they are on my kittens and I am not sure what to do,everyone seems to have different opinions and I am not sure who to listen to.I know it can cause anemia,and I am not sure what's best for them,if someone could please advise me,I would greatly appreciate it.. Thank you so much
    Illusion Posts: 195, Reputation: 33

Apr 18, 2007, 10:20 PM
    The best option is to go to your local Vet office and pick up a shampoo - several are sold that are gentle enough for kittens - and they will get rid of the fleas. There is one shampoo, "Vet Solutions" makes one with aloe & oatmeal. Bathe each kitten in warm water and have several towels handy to dry and wrap them in. Make sure you keep them warm and comfortable after their bath.

For the mother cat, if you can - bathe her with the same shampoo and again dry and wrap her in a towel to keep her warm. After bathing and she is dry, you can apply "Advantage" - a small tube of medication for fleas that works like magic. You can also buy "Advantage" at the local Vet office. The kittens CANNOT use "Advantage."

For mother cat, you can bathe her in the tub - what I would do is get a rubber bath mat and place it on the tub floor so she does not slip. I talk baby talk to re-assure kitty. Cats do not like water, it can be very scary for them.

Be sure to vacuum, mop and wash your small rugs around the house. Especially anything where the mother cat and kittens sleep. Make sure you wash the items regularly. I have a family of 6 cats - Mouse, Archie, Fuzzy, Teddy, Morty and Isadora - so I have had to deal with some issues. Once I got the Advantage product - presto! No more fleas! Thank god. I have a really good Vet that has helped me a lot.

Take care.
    gizmo_48401 Posts: 27, Reputation: 0

Apr 21, 2007, 08:31 PM
    I was toled buy the vet if kittens are really little (under 12 weeks) to use "PERT shampoo" on both mom and babies let it sit on them for about a minute then rinse them really good it works on cats but I was toled not to use it on dog's I don't rember y but woorks really well for cats and kills the fleas and the eggs to I think

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New kitten [ 4 Answers ]

I adopted a kitten from a shelter 6 days ago. She is in my bedroom and I have put food out for her and a kitty litter pan. She uses the pan and eats all her food but I never see her. I think she is hiding under my bed, but I can't find her. I go in the room and read to her and talk to her, but I...

My kitten has worms [ 1 Answers ]

I can't find any over the counter de-wormers for kittens under 6 months and don't have the $$money$$ to take little ANNA to the Vet

My Kitten [ 2 Answers ]

My kitten got out during her very first heat(Ithink it was Septhember), now last night she was lying on my bed and her belly was moving all over, so I am sure she has kittens, how do I know when she is ready to give brth? Thank you

New Kitten [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a kitten supposedly 7 weeks old. It doesn't eat much at all and is very skinny. To the point you can feel boes easily. Probably the runt. Should I be concerned and what can I do to get my kitty eating more to fatten up a bit.

I want another kitten! [ 9 Answers ]

Ok I already have one kitten.. she will be a yr old on July 15! Her name is Tinx.. She is my baby.. she is so spoiled! But I want to get another kitten so Tinx has someone to play with while we are away at work! The only problem she doesn't seem to get along very well with other cats.. I guess...

View more questions Search