Magick37 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2018, 08:46 AM
    Bad smell in basement
    Who should I call to investigate. Does not smell like gas. Started quickly
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 12, 2018, 09:57 AM
    Hi Magick

Look around the basement for any unused drains... like a toilet, sink or shower that has not been used in a long time. Here, you could have a trap that has dried up and is allowing sewer gasses into the home. If this is the case, simply pour some water down the unused drain or fixture and that will resolve the issue. If you plan on continuing to not use the problem fixture or drain, you could also pour some mineral oil into the drain which will create a seal that will stop sewer gasses from coming into the home and the oil will not evaporate away.

Also, look for a floor drain or a cap that has come loose... here, you would fill the drain as above or you would cap the drain if needed.

If you have a condensing boiler that drains the condensate into the washing machine drain that could also cause odors... clean the interior of the washing machine drain pipe and replace the condensate to fix this if it is the problem.

Otherwise, if none of these are the issue, I would call a local plumber in... could be a sewage ejector gas odor, could be a venting odor, etc. etc. etc...

Back to you...

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smell in Basement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a smell that smells like cat urine in that basement that is permeating into the house, I do not own a cat. Do you know what else could be causing such a foul odor

Smell in the Basement [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I am currently looking into a new home. Upon visiting I noticed a smell, quite similar to stale water coming form the basement. The current owner explained that it was due to the toilet not being flushed often enough therefor not draining the macerator pump. The toilet is below sewage level...

Smell in basement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 3 yr new construction house with grinder pump in basement.after 2-3 washing machine uses,the smell appears in the basement.. its a ranch style home with all p traps installed and 3 roof vent s... smell does not appear to be coming from pump itself,but is contained to the 1/4th basement...

Bac Smell in the basement [ 1 Answers ]

We have a really bad sewage smell coming from a pipe in the basement, we were installing some new base board and had to go around a large metal pipe, about 6 inches in diameter, it smells REALLY bad. There is no dampness or water so I don't think it is cracked. Any ideas what could be going on? ...

Smell in basement [ 2 Answers ]

Every now and then I get a spetic smell in my basement. It is really bad after heavy rains. I have well water and get my septoic system pumped annually. Any ideas on what may be causing this odor and what I can do to correct the problem? It doesn't smell all the time but when it does its pretty...

View more questions Search