Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prairielandman Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2018, 09:55 AM
    Bricks in back of toilet
    Will bricks in the back of my toilet lower my water usage safely?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2018, 11:49 AM
    To a degree they will. However, with older toilets, they will not flush as efficiently. How much would you hope to save per flush? Lets say 1/2 gallon. Flushing the toilet 10 times per day for 30 days saves 150 gallons of water. Most people use that much in bathing instead of showering and leaving water on when shaving or brushing teeth.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 8, 2018, 12:59 PM
    You don't have to use brick in the tank to lower water usage ..... just lower the water level inside tank by adjusting float on the fill valve. However, each toilet is designed to use certain amount of water to fully flush solids down the toilet. With less water, it may not empty toilet as designed. I suggest you buy new, water saving, toilet. They are not that expensive and they will save you lot more water than a brick in the tank

Milo
    prairielandman Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2018, 04:42 PM
    I would be happy with those numbers. I am nearing optimal efficiency for water usage before I change my supply to rain harvesting. THanks!

Milo, you make a very good point about adjusting the float, but since the bricks are already in and the toilet appears to be running optimally at this point the most efficient next step would be to do nothing lol THanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Back to back toilet when flushed drains the other [ 5 Answers ]

I have two Kolhlar pressure assisted toilets back to back. When the front one flushes it drains the other. I have had the common vent checked by both vision and using a hose to check the vent is clear. I have had this problem for a few years. One plumber recently separated the water flow lines...

Toilet leaking around base, back up into tub when flush, kitchen sink back up [ 3 Answers ]

Seem like everything is back up. Recently I've been having issue with my plumbing all around. The toilet seems to be backing up into the tub and is leaking around the base. I could hear water bubble sound coming up the toilet when I try to run water down the tub. As for the kitchen sink it seems to...

Back to back toilet flushes in to the other toilet? [ 2 Answers ]

Confused:Hi Mark, hope you can help me here, I am having problems with back to back toilets in a bathroom & ensuite, when one toilet is flush the other toilets waste does not enter the other toilet, but dis-coloured water does if you understand what I mean, could it be that the stench pipe needs a...

View more questions Search