Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bbobball Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2018, 04:04 PM
    Can you run a 20 amp gfci off a 30 amp breaker?
    I want to run 100 feet of 10/2 wire from a 200 amp box using a 30 amp single pole breaker then into a junction box to connect to 12/2 wire then to a 20 amp GFCI to lights and outlets. Is this correct use of materials to go that far?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 8, 2018, 10:41 AM
    NO!

You have 2 choices. Use your 10/2 for your run from the panel board, but use a 20 amp breaker. Or use a 20 amp Breaker and 12/2 for the entire circuit

You must protect the smallest wire at it's listed amps, in this case 20 amps.

Not knowing exactly what you are planning to do, I'm a little concerned.

For example using a standard voltage drop calculator a run of 150' (end to end) the calculator says you need to use a #8 AWG feeder to keep the voltage drop to 3.5%.

The NEC "Recommends" not mandates that there be no more than 5% VD end to end.

The larger size cable reduces the end to end resistance of the wires. Lower resistance means higher amperage at the end of the wire for you to use.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inspector said receptacles in bathroom need GFCI but breaker in panel is GFCI [ 6 Answers ]

Our house has sold but they are asking we replace receptacles in bathroom with GFCI but the breaker in the panel is GFCI protected. We live in Ontario is it code that the receptacles need to be GFCI and we can not have the panel box GFCI protected? This was a recommendation by their home inspector.

Woud it be okay to install a GFCI breaker in the breaker box [ 6 Answers ]

I have found out that it would be okay to install GFCI on older 2 wire outlets-just not connecting anything to the ground screw. So, if that is okay woud it be okay to install a GFCI breaker in the breaker box instead? The bathrooms are wired together and it might be cheaper just to make the change...

Can I use a 50 amp GFCI breaker to install a pool pump that calls for 20 amp GFCI? [ 5 Answers ]

I am replacing my old pool pump with a variable speed pump that calls for a dedicated 20 amp, 2 pole GFCI breaker, but I have not found an outdoor box with a 20 amp GFCI. The power from the mail panel is coming from a 30 amp breaker and I want to split this line with a GFCI dedicated for the pump....

Circuit breaker trip after install of GFCI breaker [ 3 Answers ]

I'm replacing an outlet under kitchen sink that garbage disposer and dish washer were plugged into because they stopped working. The old outlet was not GFCI. So I'm attempting to replace it with one. Our home was built in the '50s and has no ground line yet. I used an extension cord to plug them...

Gfci breaker + outlet in same circuit.breaker tripping [ 4 Answers ]

I have a gfci breaker for a bathroom and there is an additional gfci outlet in the bathroom on the same circuit. The breaker was tripping intermittently over the past week and now will not re-engage. Should I suspect a faulty breaker or is it better to troubleshoot the circuit first? The...

View more questions Search