Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wacky816 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2018, 02:04 PM
    Takeoff velocity question
    A 139lb student lands from a vertical jump and immediately jumps vertically again. The average ground reaction force is 1345N which is applied for .3s. He was moving at 1.1m/s downward when he first contacted the ground. What is his takeoff velocity?

I know that I need to determine the resultant force in N, but I am having trouble figuring out how to do that. Then, I know I can use the impulse/momentum equation. Please help. Thanks!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 12, 2018, 11:24 AM
    You're told what the reaction force is - it's 1345 N, so no need to calculate it. Use F=ma to figure out the acceleration, and then since you know the duration of the force being applied you can calculate the change in velocity. Be sure to convert the student's mass from pounds to Kg (weird that the problem mixes imperial and SI units like that - are you in Britain?). Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Velocity question [ 1 Answers ]

A marksman at rest fires a 4.00-kg gun that expels a bullet of mass 0.0140 kg with a velocity of 181 m/s. the marksman mass is 81.0 kg. what is the marksmans velocity after firing the gun?

Escape Velocity question [ 3 Answers ]

With which speed should we throw something, that it goes out of the gravity of the earth and start moving around the earth or goes off? With which speed does earth around its own axis?

Velocity/work question [ 1 Answers ]

you cannonbal into the water from a 15m diving board.what velocity do you hit the water and what work is done by the water if you stop 1.9m below the surface? Mass=85kg.

How to find force needed for takeoff in a plane. [ 6 Answers ]

While waiting at the airport for your flight to leave, you observe some of the jets as they take off. With your watch you find that it takes about 34.9 seconds for a plane to go from rest to takeoff speed. In addition, you estimate that the distance required is about 1.6 km. If the mass of a...

Windspeed created in takeoff? [ 3 Answers ]

How strong is the wind behind the engines during takeoff? For example behind a boeing 747. What is the strength compared too, Hurricane, storm.. Thank's, Roger

View more questions Search