Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kjorness Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2018, 01:42 PM
    Home staging depreciation
    I purchased furniture for my small home staging business. (I am incorporated) how do I depreciate the furniture on my federal taxes?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2018, 06:56 PM
    The deduction would be either depreciated over many years or you may take a section 179 deduction to deduct all or a portion of your furniture in the year you purchase it. Use IRS form 4562 to record the deduction amount, and attach this to your 1040 tax return. Do not simply record this deduction under schedule C for profit and loss in your business. Depreciation of your office furniture is done using the MACRS Depreciation model outlined in IRS publication 946. The IRS website has full information.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 8, 2018, 08:19 AM
    Much of what ma0641 says is valid, but the depreciation must be claimed on the corporate tax return (either Form 1120 for a C Corporation or Form 1120S for a subchapter S corporation).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home staging business... how to depreciate the furniture to rent? [ 1 Answers ]

I am about to start a business model for my new Home Staging business. I'm a bit confused about the accounting treatment for my furniture assets. The business concept is to offer a service of consultation and furniture rent to real estate owners in order to make the property more appealing to...

Accounting for Home Staging... help! [ 1 Answers ]

I am about to start a business model for my new Home Staging business. I'm a bit confused about the accounting treatment for my furniture inventory. The business concept is to offer a service of consultation and furniture rent to real estate owners in order to make the property more appealing to...

Depreciation of a Home [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I just started my own small business and I'm trying to do my own accounting because I'm studying it at College. But the knowledge of the accounting is not, obviously, too good and I'm confused! How do I depreciate my home? I'm working from home and I found out that I can depreciate my...

Schedule C home depreciation and effect on eventual sale of home in the future [ 1 Answers ]

I am debating if I should take depreciation on my personal home onto my federal schedule C. Let me explain, My gut feeling tells me that when I eventually sell my personal home I will be forced to add back all the depreciation I have taken on my schedule C for all those past years as income for...

Home improvement and depreciation [ 3 Answers ]

In 2005, I made an improvement to my home (built a deck). I also rent out two rooms in my home. I depreciate the portion of the home rented. Am I required to depreciate the expenses for this home improvement? Or is depreciation on home improvement optional? Thank you

View more questions Search