Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lsendra1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2018, 09:47 AM
    How to change tub spout
    How do I loosen tub spout when I can't find a set screw?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 30, 2018, 10:32 AM
    Hi Lsendra1

If there is a U-shaped cutout on the underside of the spout then there is usually a set screw, so, if a U-shaped cut out is present use a mirror and a flashlight to look up inside the cut out to be absolutely sure that there is no set screw.

If there is no cut out on the underside of the spout (or you confirmed there is no set screw, for sure) then the tub spout will be a simple screwed on tub spout so you will take a pair of water pump pliers (or similar tool) and remove the spout by unscrewing the spout COUNTERCLOCKWISE. Caution here, however, because sometimes when you go to unscrew a tub spout, the pipe can break behind the wall. You will want to use force initially to loosen the spout, but if the spout just won't loosen then you may be better off using a hacksaw to cut the spout off so you will be sure not to damage the pipe behind the wall.

If you decide to cut the tub spout off, post back and I'll share a few more thoughts.

Most likely, the spout will spin off so just go for that first...

Back to you...

Mark
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2018, 10:34 PM
    If possible Please post a picture, Thanks.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to change threaded tub spout to slip on type tub spout? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to change the tub spout from the thread on type to the slip on type. Does the thread on type have a thread inside the wall that I can take out and install a 1/2" copper line with MIP?

How does water flow into spout when the spout is moved right and left? [ 2 Answers ]

Does the hole in the valve where water comes into the spout move when I turn the spout left and right? If not how does water get into the spout?

Replaced seats, stem assembly, and the spout and still leaking from back of spout [ 2 Answers ]

We replaced the seats, stem assembly, and spout and our tub is still leaking from back of spout. It only leaks when the handles are turned on. It leaks with both the hot and cold, when just the hot is on, and when just the cold is on. If everything is shut off, it stops. What could be the problem...

Can I replace a slip on tub spout with no diverter to a tub spout with a diverter? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a slip on tub spout that has no diverter. I would like to exchange this tub spout with one that has a diverter.

Spout Flange for Price Pfister Shower Spout [ 4 Answers ]

Checking to see if they sell the Spout Flange separately for the Pfister Shower Diverter Spout. I have the spout and it is in great condition. Dalton.

View more questions Search