Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    askaskaskuuu111 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2018, 09:54 PM
    If I vacate a joinder with my husband's pension, will that release the funds that ce
    Six years ago, I separated from my husband and we filed for a dissolution of marriage with our individual lawyers. The process got complicated and there was never a final settlement by the court. So, we remained legally married, yet separated (not legally). So, my lawyer suggested a joinder with my husband's pension which was served to the retirement office of his employer.

Six months ago, my husband retired and his retirement administrator kept my share (50%) of his pension on abeyance due to the joinder, and pending results of the dissolution of marriage.
    However, my husband died last month, which left me in legally married status.

Now, his retirement administrator claims that the funds in abeyance (specifically held for my benefit) cannot be disbursed to me until the dissolution of marriage is complete. This isn't possible is it, since I can't divorce him after his death? So, the retirement administrator said the funds will be kept and subject to probate. Why would it be considered an asset of his that has not been appointed to anyone, and be required to go through probate?

What options do I have? Can I get a court to order the funds in abeyance be paid out to me, since the funds are community property and I am the surviving spouse with direct rights to it? Or can I vacate the joinder and get the retro funds in abeyance paid out to me?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 29, 2018, 05:47 AM
    This is a complicated question because what your not understanding is that when you created the order you removed it from being "joint" and it now has to be determined by the courts how to proceed. Simply removing the order that was created does not remove the effect it has already had. This is the type of question you really should be asking your lawyer. Also has probate been started on his estate ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 29, 2018, 06:31 AM
    Agreed, you will need to contact your attorney, who is handing the divorce, and no idea why you and he have let it drag on all these years,

But it would appear you would need to withdraw the divorce petition and the Joinder which would need to be done by your attorney, to get all of the possible benefits of a widow. (unless he left the retirement to another beneficiary, which you need to find out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accessing pension funds [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a way to withdraw or borrow from a "pension"? Not a 401K but a pension? I need funds badly and the pension people tell me I cannot have any of it.

Motion to release funds [ 1 Answers ]

Lorain County Ohio. I need to file a Motion to Release Funds and an Order for the Judge to sign directing the Clerk to release the funds. This is for unclaimed money and is being held in my name by court order. Does anyone have the wording/format for these documents?

Pension-funds [ 3 Answers ]

My father has died last August. He has been re-married for less then 3 years. What does the law say about... Hoe long does a cupple have to be married to have the right to receive any pension funds?

Vacate for Joinder or Joinder Dismissal [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and his previous wife got a divorce in 1994 in the state of California. In the paperwork, it was determined that his wife was to receive part of his pension when he retired. After the judgement was final, she told him personally that she didn't want his pension and she would contact...

Release funds in a frozen account [ 2 Answers ]

If anyone can help it would be great. I have a bank account that has been frozen by the courts for a judgement that was entered against me. After the judgement was entered against me I filed bankruptcy. This judgement was included in my bankruptcy. I want to get the funds out of this account the...

View more questions Search