Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luvmyhondas Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2005, 07:06 PM
    Infected with spyware
    I have all the symptoms of spyware infection...

Is there such a thing as free anti-spyware and where can I download it?

Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 18, 2005, 07:50 PM
    If you browse through this topic you will find several threads that list free anti-spyware.

If you have XP you can get Microsoft's anti-spyware tool (its free). AdAware, Spybot, Spyblaster are all free highly regarded tools.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2005, 06:05 AM
    Spyware
    Hi,
    Here are some free programs, with suggestions on how to use them:

If you think you already have Spyware/Advertising Ware in your computer, run these as follows:

http://www.security-related.com/download2.htm
    Download: SpyBot Search & Destroy; 1.3
    (If you use the Spyware Blaster free program, then don't set SpyBot to the Immunization feature)

AdAware at:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    Download: AdAware_SE

CWShredder at:
    http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
    (CWShredder is intended only for removal of CoolWebSearch files; placed as spyware on the harddrive). It is not a "stand alone" scan, but needs to be run. Download the free version by clicking on "Download stand alone version of CW Shredder".

All 3 of the above programs run better and much faster when run in SafeMode.

To get into SafeMode:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down, F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter

It's best to run the AdAware scan first; 3 times; then re-boot.
    Then, run the AdAware scan again 3 times; then run the SpyBot. Then, run CWShredder.
    Re- Boot.
    Reason for running so many times:
    Some of these trojans' files can be deleted the first time; leaving some others; but on re-boot, they re-write the files that were deleted.
    Running multiple times deletes most of it the first
    Time.

If you wish to have a great program, after you clean out Spyware/Advertising Ware:
    SpyWare Blaster 3.3

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

If you wish, please print out the above, so you can reference it later.

Also, if you surf the net a lot, you really, really need these, or similar programs.
    The Spyware Blaster is the best I have found, free, that keeps stuff out of the computer, before it starts. It is not a scanner, but rather puts "definitions" of Spyware in Internet Explorer, in the Restricted Sites, automatically, and stops it.
    You can update all the above programs, sometimes on a weekly basis, to get the latest "definitions".
    Best wishes, and good luck,
    fredg
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Mar 20, 2005, 01:44 AM
    You may also try Spysweeper. It is not free but it does come with a 30 day free trial that may be used to help you get rid of your current spyware problem. After the 30 days, you can either purchase it or go with one of the free options that others here have mentioned.

Mar 21, 2005, 07:12 AM
    Thanks for the feedback!!

Anything for Windows95?

Thanks
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2005, 12:11 PM
    95 :eek: yeah they all should work. Unless they don't support it, go to the sites and check the requirements

Mar 24, 2005, 08:46 PM
    I reformatted my hard drive and loaded Windows 98. I was then able to load Adaware and Spyware Blaster.

Thanks everyone!! I now have some peace of mind..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hepatitis infected lab [ 3 Answers ]

My 8 year old lab was recently diagnosed as being in the final stages of liver failure. He was put on some meds... And I was told that he could have a couple of weeks to a couple of months to a year to live. The vet said he most important thing I can do is make him eat. Well, I have tried...

Spyware [ 8 Answers ]

Hi Can someone please help me. My computer has recently been infected with spyware and I think it is using Windows Messenger to send these files to and from my computer. I have done a virus scan and the file that appears is sq.ini I have deleted this file and my computer is still...

Spyware [ 3 Answers ]

What is , "Common hijacker?"

PurityScan... Spyware or nor Spyware? [ 5 Answers ]

On my computer this screen popped up and it said it was ready to install Purityscan wich I had no intention of installing. Sure it might be a good program, then again it might not be for the simple fact is that somehow it or something put a reg key on my computer. Normally I would know what it's...

Autoruns - spyware question, Delete spyware with "Autoruns", back again [ 3 Answers ]

I am using "autoruns", hoping to get rid of many spyware programs. I am attempting to manually remove some of the spyware (while not connected to internet) startup files along with corresponding registry file using "autoruns" . Problem is when I restart "autoruns" the spyware files have returned. ...

View more questions Search