Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emi1900 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2018, 03:18 PM
    Vector Addition
    For Physics homework I was asked the following question:
    Suppose you first walk 12 m in a direction 20 degrees west of north and then 20 m in a direction 40 degrees south of west. How far are you from your starting point, and what is the compass direction of a line connecting your starting point to your final position?
    The answer that I arrived at was "26.61 m 65 degrees south of west" using the component method, but I was marked incorrect, is there another way to do this question or did I make a mistake in the calculation?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 13, 2018, 04:54 PM
    You have the correct distance, but incorrect angle. Draw it out - you will see that the position to the south of the east-west line is less than the distance west from the north-south line, hence the angle is not 65 degrees south of west, but 90-65 = 35 degrees south of west. It's hard to describe, but if you draw it out you should understand why this is so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Physic question - Vector addition [ 0 Answers ]

I need help with the vector addition, I tried many times but always got the wrong answer, Thank you in advance. The problem as follow: Select an answer for each... below. For an observer on shore, the speed of the boat for F is... for D Time to row across for C is... for J Time to row across...

Vector addition [ 1 Answers ]

An ant walks 3 meters east of its starting point. It then walks 2 meters north, another meter east and then 2 meters northwest. What is the ant's net displacement?

Vector addition [ 1 Answers ]

Consider two vector A and B and their resulting A+B.the magnitude of the vector A and B are 13.2 and 8.2 they act at 45 degree to each other

Physics Question on Vector Addition and Newton's Laws [ 7 Answers ]

A child on a toboggan (combined weight 70kg) is pulled from rest on a level surface by two friends. The first friend pulls with a force of 100N in the North-West direction and the second friend pulls with a force of 60N in the direction 20 degrees East of North. What is the net force exerted on the...

Vector addition using component method [ 1 Answers ]

The route followed by a hiker consists of three displacement vectors a, b, and c. Vector a is along a measured trail and is 1550 m in a direction 29.0° north of east. Vector b is not along a measured trail, but the hiker uses a compass and knows that the direction is 41.0° east of south. Similarly,...

View more questions Search