Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aoliver Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2018, 02:51 PM
    Living with boyfriend
    I've been with my boyfriend for 17yrs. Can he up and kick me out? He asked my sister for a relationship. So I spent the night with a friend. Now he's giving me 4 days to get out. Can he do this?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 11, 2018, 05:22 PM
    Local laws apply so please give us an idea where you are. Or Google rights of long term partners, and evicting long term partners and add your zip code, or state. It would seem though you may have many options living with someone so long.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...apter10-1.html

https://family.findlaw.com/living-to...d-couples.html

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/fa...l-differences/
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 12, 2018, 04:16 AM
    As noted, it will depend on where you live and if your name is on lease or house and so on.

But if the home is his, or he is the person renting, yes he can ask you to leave. The amount of time you have will differ.

My question why would you even want to stay, and risk losing all of your things, sounds like you would want to and should get out fast
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 13, 2018, 05:00 PM
    As others noted, if the house is his (i.e. you don't have any ownership in the property or don't pay rent to the landlord), you are considered a day-to-day tenant, and so legally have some period of time to vacate after he gives you written notice to move out. This may be ten days, or perhaps 30 days, depending on the jurisdiction. It's understandable that it may take more than 4 days for you to find other living arrangements - that's why the law typically provides a longer period to vacate. But you need to decide whether to stretch this out to whatever time frame the law allows, or as suggested make plans to vacate ASAP.
    Slingshotlegal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2018, 02:33 PM
    I agree with the earlier post, you would need to supply State and County as jurisdictions are all different.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Living with Boyfriend while he's going through custody [ 1 Answers ]

I've been living with my boyfriend for the last two months. He just started going through custody negotiations with his ex. He's fine with all the vistation/custody arrangements but one... In order for her to agree to anything, he can't live with anyone, visitations have to be at his parents house,...

Ex boyfriend still living with me [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend split up wit me few days ago and we still live together but he sleeps in spare room. What does this mean? Am I stupid still keeping him even though apartment mine

Broke up with boyfriend and still living together [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I broke up a few days ago. We were together for 2.5 years and also lived together during this time. Looking back I can see where our relationship went wrong and I have accepted that this is the best thing for both of us. The catch to this story though is that we are still living...

I am living with an alcoholic boyfriend! [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: Hello, I am 17 years old and I have been together with a black man that is 25 for a little over a year now. He lives with me and does not work.has my car all day while I'm at work. He drinks almost everyday of the week, and has a history of doing drugs, he has went to rehab before...

Living with Ex-Boyfriend [ 4 Answers ]

Ok my ex and I broke up (his doing) over 5 years ago, we have only just started talking a year ago which he initiated. Firstly, not sure why he rung after 5 years, maybe he was lonely. Anyway, after about 10mths of chatting he asked me to move in with him and a mate of his (cause their current...

View more questions Search