Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    foreverromantic Posts: 177, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2018, 02:22 PM
    Soil or sand for foundation
    Could someone please help with this? My living room foundation at the tiled baseboard in the corner have water coming in during hurricanes or heavy rains that last continuously like last year's Erma for THREE FULL DAYS OF RAIN.
    The Building gave me permission to look for someone to do it.
    I had someone look at it who used to be a contractor . He is a salesman for my IMPACT WINDOWS which will be installed in 15 weeks.
    He told me to put three or four inches of DIRT THERE to raise that section by 3 or 4 inches. Currently I have marble chips in that location, but those will be removed for this project and put back later. (because I like the marble chips there).
    Someone has suggested sand as opposed to dirt.
    Do you think DIRT is BETTER THAN SAND ?
    Another person said dig a trench and pour concrete into it. This type of work our handyman would not be able to do. HE COULD DO THE DIRT, BUT NOT CONCRETE.
    Under the marble chips is a plastic that runs all along under the chips.
    Any info or help on this is appreciated. Thanks
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2018, 12:57 PM
    Sand is way to porous. The last time I had to control water I used a heavy hand tamper to pack down the dirt as much as I could. Then I laid a layer of compacted dirt about 4" high that tapered to grade about 6' from the house. On top of that I laid a sheet of 6mil poly and covered that with another 2" of dirt. Sounds like you have dirt too far up your wall and water is leaching under the sill plate.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 12, 2018, 04:20 AM
    I would agree, if it is coming in above the foundation, at your wall level (into the house) it sounds like the house level is too near the ground.

If it is just coming in the foundation, it goes under the house (or into basement) and is not touching the floors.

Is there a window near or above this area? Water can enter higher, travel down and appear at the floor level also

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my sand filter leaking sand in the pool? [ 2 Answers ]

Is my sand filter leaking sand in the pool? Yellowish/grey residue matter is coming into my pool, especially whilst vacuuming. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sealing soil stack at foundation? [ 20 Answers ]

A tenant complained of a sewer gas smell in a garden apartment. I was able to get to the sewer stack which is located just behind the refrigerator where there is an opening in the wall. There is a flimsy tin cover sitting over a gap between the foundation and the soil stack. What is the best way...

Ph of soil in water and ph of soil in calcium chloride [ 0 Answers ]

What does the difference between ph of soil in water and in calcium chloride depict

Spongy soil on the foundation [ 4 Answers ]

Here's my newest issue: A few weeks ago, I noticed that a portion of my foundation was being exposed due to erosion. The basic issue was that the rain runoff was running down the sides of the house and wearing off the dirt. I went to speak to a local supplier about the issue and they...

Sand Filter is blowing out sand into my pool [ 3 Answers ]

Lately when I backwash my above ground pool, the filter blows out sand into the water. What causes this? When backwashing the filter, I turn off the pump, turn the dial to backwash and turn the pump on low. Is the pump supposed to be on during the backwash and rinse cycle?

View more questions Search