Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ncc1701a1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2007, 05:08 PM
    No pressure in tank-gauge at 0 water flow to home is OK
    I have water coming into the house so I know the well pump works fine. The problem is that there is no pressure in the pressure tank and the gauge is at 0. over the winter I ran the water to a steady flow so the pipes wouldn't freeze when the temps dropped to single digits what's wrong with the tank?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2007, 05:52 PM
    It may not be a problem with your tank, it could be a problem with your pressure gauges. It may have something to do with the freezing weather, that may have damaged the gauges.
    PatrickHenryPDX Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2007, 06:40 PM
    Perhaps the tank is supposed to have air in it, but doesn't, so the gauge is reading zero. Does the tank have a valve stem on the top somewhere (bicycle tire stem)?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2007, 07:01 PM
    If you have water flowing, you at least have some pressure, near normal if the water flow is near normal. The air in the tank has nothing to do with the pressure, only providing a cushion to lengthen the pump cycles. When you turn the water on, the air in the tank expands to push the water out until the pressure drops to the cut in pressure, often 30 psi. The pump then runs, compressing the air until it reaches cut out pressure, often 50 psi, and shuts off. When the pump cuts off, the tank should go thunk in the bottom half and clang in the top half.

I agree you need a new pressure gage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water flow rate for a given pressure [ 3 Answers ]

For a one half inch cooper pipe, what is the flow rate with a water pressure of 55 pounds per square inch?

Low pressure/flow well water [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a new house in CT. It has well water and I have always had city water. The pressure seems real low at some of the faucets- mostly the kitchen sink and tub faucet. The "pump" pressure ranges from 40 to 60 psi. The builder said the well is capable to 10 (gpm?) but the pump is rated for...

No Water Pressure after restoring water flow [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My faucet handle broke in the on position, so I turned the water valve off. I was gone about 12 hours, replaced the faucet handle, and then turned on the water but there is no pressure in any faucet/sink. Is there something I can do, or do I need to call a plumber to restore the...

Pressure gauge for tank [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone could tell me why the psi will not drop on my pressure gauge for the tank . It will go up and stay at that and will not release. The gauge has been replaced and we also unhooked the pressure gauage and switch and let the water flush out. Thanks for any info you may have...

New Home with low pressure or flow? [ 9 Answers ]

I have just moved into my new home which was just finished being build 2 weeks ago. The first thing that I noticed about the house is that it has low pressure. First a little information... My new home is located immediately next to a brand new 125 foot water tower that was installed for this...

View more questions Search