Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxSky Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Apr 18, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Working with a credit agency on a charged off debt I thought was settled
    Years ago, three days after my ex and I filed for divorce, I received a small credit card for $300.

I paid it regularly and on time until they hit me with an "annual fee" that I thought was a "one time start up fee". It threw the card over the limit, they slapped over the limit fees on that, and I began a downhill spiral of not being able to pay that in a timely fashion.

Finally, I made a very large payment that I thought was a settlement on the debt.

Now, years later, I am told this debt was "charged off" and "sold" and that the new company wants $2,200 from me.

The SOL has not gone by. I cannot declare bankruptcy (my ex did that, which is part of why we are divorced.)

I don't have $2,200.

Is there any chance at all this company will accept monthly payments?

If they can't - what can I do? My credit is shot.
    I don't own anything.
    I live in a house that still belongs to the mortgage company and my ex.

That house was homesteaded by ex.

Is the house in danger?

The company has not sued, and I did write them in the 30 day time frame telling them that I do not believe I owe this debt. However, looking at what they have sent me, if it was charged off rather than settled, I don't think I have much of a leg to stand on.

I can afford small payments of about $100 a month, but nothing bigger than that.

Should I offer them that?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 18, 2007, 07:07 PM
    I don't think they will accept that because they are not set up to take monthly payments, more like they will break it down in thirds, but you can't do that you say. My general stance is collection agencies are the scum of the earth. If they can't collect off you, then some other collection agency will buy it off them for so many cents on the dollar and it will start all over again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit agency refuses to verify debt, but demands payment (Ontario) [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, Just as a backgrounder, I have placed my original post in quotes at the bottom. The one thing I should add is that we contacted the original alleged creditor (GMAC), who was reasonably nice, but told us that they no longer held the debt and couldn't provide us with any verification. ...

Credit rating: Settled vs Paid [ 1 Answers ]

A few years ago, we ren into financial hardship. I contacted one of our credit card companies to ask them to work out a payment arrangement with me. They refused because my acount was "in good standing". Well, we defaulted on the payments as I warned them may happen. They rapidly inflated the...

Thought debt was paid [ 2 Answers ]

First of all I live in Manitoba.Last night I got a call from Portfolio Management Canada stating I owe on a credit card from 14 years ago. I thought it was paid. I never heard from them until now. They claimed to have spoken to someone in my house,but this was not true.They only left unclear...

Settled accounts removed from credit report [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I reviewing my credit report, I noticed some discrepancies. Two in particular, related to two settled accounts, which did not reflect that I had paid the charged-off accounts. I tried for months to get a the collection company (Arrow) to correct it, to no avail. I then filed a...

I settled my Debt--they cashed check but now Bank suing me! [ 2 Answers ]

If anyone could help me--or point me in the right direction it would be a great relief. Basically, I had a credit card with Chase bank--it went delinquent. They turned it over to a company called Mann Bracken (they're in Atlanta, GA). Mann Bracken filed with the National Arbitration Forum. ...

View more questions Search