Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    foreverromantic Posts: 177, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2018, 11:32 AM
    Bathroom sink question
    My bathroom sink was installed over 10 years ago. It's in perfect condition and works very well. However, recently, I noticed at the drain stopper, some black is coming from it. I tried CLR around it, Comet Cleaners and Bleach. Up until 2 weeks ago the top was shiny and looked like new. It's a gold color. NOW... when I rub it I am seeing BLACK MARKS on the cloth and I don't know WHERE it is coming from.
    Can you tell me where so that I can take care of this.
    Thanks.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2018, 12:55 PM
    You are removing some metal. When you polish metal, microscopic amount of metal are removed. Ever polish what looks like untarnished silver? It too will show black. The "gold" color is most likely the brass base metal. Replacement lift style stoppers are easily found and replaced. HD, Lowe's and others stock them and almost all are universal.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 6, 2018, 01:42 PM
    Hi FR

Pull the stopper and clean the entire stopper including down into the drain with a toothbrush and bleach... should help.

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upstairs Neighbor bathroom sink backs up into my downstairs bathroom sink? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a two story condo on the bottom floor. Today, I noticed my bathroom sink was filled for no reason. Every time I would scoop out the water, it kept refilling. After some troubleshooting, we realized that the backup occurs when my upstairs neighbors turn on their bathroom sink which is...

Kitchen sink and guest bathroom sink/shower get lukewarm water? [ 3 Answers ]

My kitchen sink and guest bathroom sink/shower get lukewarm water. The main bathroom sink and shower gets hot. I have adjusted the heat on the water heater and that has made the working sink and shower get hotter, but not the others. The water heater is just on the other side of the working sink...

New bathroom sink backs up halfway, quickly drains, repeat.. no overflow in this sink [ 2 Answers ]

I just very proudly finished installing our new second floor bathroom sink drains. Two different vanities, two different walls. I ran the water steadily in both of them for 10 minutes. One works fine. The other backs up about halfway up the bowl, then suddenly quickly drains everything and...

Fog horn noise when using taps in bathroom sink and kitchen sink [ 1 Answers ]

There has developed, in the last week, a "fog horn" sound when we turn on the hot or cold taps in the bathroom or kitchen. It does not occur when we use the washer or dishwasher. Could anyone give some advise on what could be the cause of this?

View more questions Search