Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bsivell1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2018, 08:39 AM
    30 gal electric water heater
    I have a 30 gallon electric water heater that is 220v. It has the standard 10/2 wiring going to 2 15 amp circuits at the panel. Can I made 240v using the same 10/2 wiring and 2 15 amp circuits. If not what changes do I have to make?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2018, 12:59 PM
    220 VAC has not existed in the US for quite a while, it has been 240VAC. Today, power is supplied to you home in two 120 VAC phases. No changes are needed. Are you replacing the HW heater?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 4, 2018, 02:18 PM
    Hi Bsivell

Your breakers are SERIOUSLY undersized here. You should have a 30 AMP double pole breaker for a water heater... that is a 1 piece 30 Amp double pole breaker that supplies 30 amp to each leg of the water heater. In fact, this is a dangerous set up that could eventually lead to someone (usually a homeowner) getting hurt because they might make the mistake of shutting only one breaker off thinking they shut off the entire circuit, go to work on the water heater and get zapped with some serious juice, right?

Consider updating the panel to a 30 AMP double pole breaker for safety sake (much more efficient heating water using correctly sized breakers! ).

Agree with Ma0641 on 220V vs 240V... get a meter

Mark
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 5, 2018, 10:22 AM
    Very good point, Mark. Glad you noticed this Code violation, and brought it to Bsivell1's attention

Milo
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 5, 2018, 02:03 PM
    I appreciate that, Milo. I just hope Bsivell returns to the thread!

Good day!

Mark
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2018, 07:19 PM
    If the OP is using a 15 AMP on a 10AWG, it won't hurt anything, just really heats the water much more slowly. However, it sure is easy to snap in a double 30, that's what I have in our mountain cabin.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2018, 08:50 AM
    Poster never mentioned Watts. Many/Most are 240 Volts on a 30 Amp 2 Pole Breaker.
    15 Amp Breaker(s) should have tripped. 15 Amps @ 240 Volts is 2880 Watts.
    15 X 240 = 2880.
    At least the wire is Correct, as Mentioned by massplumber, 2 Pole 30 is needed
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2018, 07:50 AM
    #12 may be correct depending on Watts?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing; additional water heater vs instant electric heater [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having a jacuzzi walk-in tub installed for my disabled wife. It holds 80 gallons empty and somewhat less with a person in it. I was told I would need another water heater (one 40 gal. gas is installed) to accommodate the hot water needs for the tub. The contractor suggested a 50 high...

I have an all electric home and want to replace electric hot water heater with electr [ 2 Answers ]

We have a total electric home and want to replace the old water heater with an electric tankless whole house hot water heater. Gas is not available where we are. Is it practical?

Reduced water pressure after changing the electric water heater (Rheem 50L) ? [ 2 Answers ]

We've just had our water heater changed yesterday and there appears to be a marked reduction in the water pressure not only in the shower but also in in the fauctes in our apartment ? All the fittings are the same except as the inlet was slightly higher than on the original unit, we have had to...

I have very low hot water pressure from my hot water heafrom an electric water heater [ 0 Answers ]

I have very low water pressure from my hot water heater. I can't find anything wrong.. any ideas?

Replaced electric water heater Atlanta area, but no hot water [ 14 Answers ]

The old water heater died. Bot one (38 gals) at HD. Installed exactly like the old one was as follows--3 CPVC pipes come out of wall. Two are joined. Before they are joined one has a valve. After they are joined there is a second valve. The pipe is connected to the cold side of the heater using...

View more questions Search