Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gentleman2222 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2018, 05:03 PM
    Is this paragraph on Internal Rate of Return incorrect?
    I came across this paragraph on Internal Rate of Return (IRR):

"IRR, on the other hand, computes a breakeven rate of return. At any discount rate below the IRR, an
    investment would result in a positive NPV (and should be made). If the appropriate discount rate is
    above the IRR, then the investment will result in a negative NPV (and should be avoided). It's the
    breakeven discount rate - the rate at which the value of cash outflows equals the value of the cash inflows"

Correct me if I mistaken, but can't IRR be a sort of "hurdle rate" such that if your IRR for a project exceeds
    The hurdle rate, then you *should* invest in the project. And if the IRR for a project is less than your
    Hurdle rate, you should *not* invest the project? Or is the paragraph correct?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 30, 2018, 12:40 PM
    The paragraph is correct, but poorly worded. IRR is the discount rate that would have to be applied to a project's cash flows to result in $0 net present value. The better a project is, the higher the discount would have to be to result in $0 NPV. So high IRR is a good thing. The "hurdle rate" you mention is typically the average cost of capital for the corporation, and is calculated based on a mix of the rate of return that investors expect and the cost of borrowing cash. So you are also correct: if IRR is greater than the hurdle rate (i.e. cost of capital) the project makes financial sense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internal Rate of Return [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to figure out the IRR to see if this project is acceptable or unacceptable based on the ARR that I already figured out. Per my professor he mentioned something about "guessing" I think. Based on my template I'm having trouble figuring out year 5. Please advise based on my attachment,...

Average rate of return, net present value, internal rate of return, & payback period [ 3 Answers ]

CAM Company is evaluating a project requiring a capital expenditure of $619,200. The project has an estimated life of four years and no salvage value. The estimated net income and net cash flow from the project are as follows: Year Net Income ...

Internal rate of return, net present value, return on invextment [ 1 Answers ]

what do we mean by internal rate of return, net present value and average annual return on investments? What do they imply? And, how are they computed?

View more questions Search