Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2018, 04:30 PM
    Microwave throwing breaker
    Mwave has been there for several years and worked just fine. The past few months, it has started to occasionally (1 time in 20 or so) throw the breaker. 1,000 watt Mwave on a 20 amp breaker, neither of which is more than a 6 or 8 years old. Nothing else on the breaker but the Mwave. Ideas?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 28, 2018, 07:15 PM
    Problems with microwave my first guess, or issue with breaker, or a wire issue (often at a connection)

Try microwave on other circuit for a bit, see if there is still issues, if there is, then it is the microwave.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 29, 2018, 03:57 AM
    Trying other appliances on the dedicated line, or moving the microwave to another line is a good suggestion to troubleshoot your problem. Anything else costs good money.
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2018, 04:27 AM
    The microwave is a built in so putting it on another circuit would be difficult. There's no receptacle on the circuit so can't try other appliances. I guess I'll try replacing the breaker first, or swapping it with a known good breaker.
    Expert

Aug 29, 2018, 05:11 AM
    Got a multimeter?
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2018, 05:35 AM
    I do.
    Expert

Aug 29, 2018, 07:11 AM
    You're good to go... piece of cake*. 8D

*Safety ALWAYS first.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 29, 2018, 08:43 AM
    If the only device on the branch circuit is the microwave and the branch circuit is a 20 amp circuit you should not be seeing a problem.

That's the theory of it. However, since circuit breakers react to amperage, not voltage, I suspect that the microwave's motor is starting to bind up during startup which draws more current than the normal inrush current which if it lasts for a long enough period could trip the breaker.

I would really need to put an ammeter around the wire and just stop and stop the microwave until I could trap the failure
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2018, 02:48 PM
    That's the theory of it. However, since circuit breakers react to amperage, not voltage, I suspect that the microwave's motor is starting to bind up during startup which draws more current than the normal inrush current which if it lasts for a long enough period could trip the breaker.
    That sounds believable. I bought a new breaker today and will try that. If it continues, then I have to assume it is the Mwave? Don't have an ammeter, but it does seem to happen when the Mwave starts up.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2018, 02:00 PM
    There is more than just a microwave generator in a microwave oven. System electronics, light, plate rotator, exhaust fan and microwave stirrer. A problem with any of these could cause the overload. Hopefully, it's just a failing breaker.
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2018, 07:40 PM
    Yeah. I hope the same thing.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2018, 07:17 AM
    You don't have to remove or unplug Microwave to try on a different circuit, a Troubleshooter may remove microwave wire from breaker, then place wire on another Breaker. Swap temporarily so you are not losing something else,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use 14-2 with 20 amp breaker for microwave [ 1 Answers ]

Can I use 14-2 wire with 20 amp breaker for microwave outlet

Air conditioner throwing the breaker [ 1 Answers ]

With the thermostat turned to OFF - when I reset my breaker to ON the air conditioner tries to start and all the lights dim and it throws the breaker. Had a technician in today and he at first said it was my breaker and than when I said that I had a cousin who could replace it - he said that he...

Our water heater is throwing our breaker [ 2 Answers ]

We just installed new thermostats on our electric water heater, but the breaker keeps throwing, My question is at the breaker box, is the black wire on top or bottom when hooking up a new breaker, and at the water heater is the black wire on the left or right on the thermostat? My wire colors are...

Electric furnaace throwing breaker [ 1 Answers ]

My sister has an electric furnace... She came home the other day... It was 59 in the house. If she turned the thermostat up to 72.. the breaker in the electrical box would trip.. She slowly adjusted the temperature up by a few degrees at a time.. But next day she comes home and breaker has...

My Steam Shower keeps throwing the breaker! [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I have just installed a steam shower bath and it takes 3KW and I have it on a 20 Amp breaker. I thought that would be enough amps to carry it; what could be wrong? Thanks. Kaye

View more questions Search