Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NewCondoOwner Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Replacing A/C - condenser or heat pump/condenser
    I live in a condo. All of the units in the building need to new air conditioners because they are all old and will not survive a scheduled reroofing of the building. The association got a bid for a company that will put in a new condenser unit for anyone who wants one - it is about $1500 installed. The estimate includes a Payne 2 ton, 13 SEER, r-22 air conditioner unit.

The electrician giving the bid is not replacing the inside coil. In fact, he said that the inside coil has a heat strip, and in California, those can't be replaced with a new heat strip. So, according to the electrician guy, to replace the inside coil I would need a condenser/heat pump unit rather than just a condenser. He also said that the building in which my condo is in has a T-bar fan, and that it probably can't be made quiet (it is currently very loud if either the heater or air is on).

Does this all sound right? Should I get a second opinion? I don't think that getting just a condenser makes sense if I can't replace the inside coil unless I have the condenser/heat pump unit? I am concerned about using this electrician if he would recommend that anyone in the building get just a condenser (about 15 people are signed up to right now). Something seems off to me, but I know NOTHING about any of this. Any recommendations? How do I find a good company to replace the condenser unit/heat pump.

Also, the condo is multiple stories and requires a crane, so there is some expense spared in going with the guy giving the bid because those costs are split 15 ways. Should I just upgrade his current bid to get a heater/condenser now or try to find someone else and just eat the extra cost?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 18, 2007, 03:47 PM
    This is your second post same item. Please continue your posting in your other post areas. You have been answered there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump condenser frosts up [ 5 Answers ]

I leave in the Kanas City, MO area and have a heat pump for primary heat with natural gas forced air for backup. When the temperature gets down to the high 20's, the outside unit (condenser?) frosts up and the fins are clogged with frost. It seems to me when the fins are clogged with frost it...

Condenser fan [ 1 Answers ]

I have a ac/heat pump. I used the heat pump the other night. The disired temp was reach, but the condenser fan will not shut off unless I turn it off at the breaker. Could this be a relay issue or thermostate issue?

Replacing 15 yr old carrier heat pump, best suggestion? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a high humidity area that has cold winters that can reach but not sustain 0 degrees and hot summers that can reach and sustain almost 100 degrees. I am replacing a whole house Carrier 2.5 ton unit; what is the best replacement with the best warranty for an 1800 sq ft house? I need this...

Condenser Shuts Off [ 1 Answers ]

Looking through the threads, I haven't found anything quite like what I'm experiencing. So if there's already a post out there on this topic, I apologize. I have a dual zone heat pump system, and both units are approximately 14 years old. On a normal summer day (70s to 80s) my air works fine. ...

AC condenser wiring [ 6 Answers ]

I am in desperate need of a wiring diagram or wiring info for my condenser unit. I had a repairman out to repair the unit when it quit cooling. As it turned out he was not a repairman but a rip off instead. The problem was the fan motor. When he attempted to install an old used single sp motor in...

View more questions Search