Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coblas Posts: 137, Reputation: 2

Aug 26, 2018, 07:05 AM
    Clear caulk for chimney cracks
    The chimney on my roof has some cracked bricks. The chimney cap, crown, and flashing are fine. In the past I used silicone masonry caulk to seal cracks as advised by a mason, but the caulk is white, although not visible from the ground. The bricks are brown, as is the original caulk, so I'd rather use something clear where it's farther up and visible. I haven't been able to find it. The paint I found that can be used on masonry only comes in a gallon for $50. Any suggestions on how to deal with this?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2018, 12:14 PM
    GE and DAP make brown silicone caulk. You can also get brown polyurethane caulk, I use it on my log home. H D has the Brown silicone caulk.

Aug 26, 2018, 02:10 PM
    I meant to say the original mortar is brown. The brown caulks I've seen are not for use on masonry. The masonry caulks are white or gray. That's the problem.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2018, 05:32 PM
    Polyurethane caulks are certainly used on brick and concrete. Geocel 3500, comes in brown.

Aug 27, 2018, 06:27 AM
    Thank you for the suggestions. I'll look further for a clear product.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To caulk or not to caulk; cedar shake [ 7 Answers ]

I will be painting my house this summer which is painted cedar shakes. A previous owner calked cracks and also the spaces between the shakes. I have removed some of this caulk and paint as it is failing. Should I re-caulk the spaces between the shakes?

Leaking "no caulk drain"... MAAX product... where/what to caulk with? [ 7 Answers ]

We have newly installed a neoangle shower, which included a 'no caulk drain'. But the drain is leaking from between the black drain pipe and the white drain. We installed the drain according to the directions exactly. My questions are: 1 should I use caulking? 2 what kind of caulking? (silicone...

Cracks where walls meet celing, cracks across the entire corners of the bath tub [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My house is build in 2008, and it is since last week we have started noticing hair line cracks in some of the rooms in the upper story. One of the room has cracks across the entire length of the room where walls meet celing, and the bathroom has also started appearing to have cracks at the...

If your chimney is in the center of your house, do you need a chimney liner to vent t [ 2 Answers ]

If your chimney is in the center of your house, do you need a chimney liner to vent the water heater?

View more questions Search