Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djstew1952 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2018, 11:39 AM
    Doorbell
    My chime doorbell only works if the button is held down. Help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 25, 2018, 02:58 PM
    ? Don't you have to push the button on them to make them work? Can you explain better?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 29, 2018, 08:50 AM
    A doorbell circuit is rather simple. You press the butto and you get a chime. From your description of the problem I suspect the issue is with the contact inside the doorbell switch.

Easiest thing to do would be to repllace the switch before trying to get to the transformer and chime system (usually buried behind all matter of junk on the top shelf of a closet)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 29, 2018, 11:28 AM
    Here is a video of what needs doing from what you wrote. The only thing I will add is don't play with electricity, even low voltage. Take the time to shut off the proper breaker to the doorbell button.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...7&&FORM=VRDGAR

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Doorbell [ 2 Answers ]

Can I buy a doorbell that is not lighted and does not glow in the dark?

Doorbell [ 2 Answers ]

My nieghbours doorbell goes off when any type of remote is used i.e. car,garage door etc,how Do I fix it .By the way it is a doorman wireless bell

How do get my doorbell to ring [ 2 Answers ]

My doorbell is lit but it won't ring, what do I do?

Doorbell getting hot [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I just installed a new doorbell since the one that was there was somewhat on the dated side. They both are lighted doorbells, but this one is getting hot to touch. I didn't notice the old one ever doing that. Is that safe or is there a problem with it?

Wiring my doorbell [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I own a split level home with a doorbell upstairs. The problem is that we can't hear it if we're in a room downstairs. I bought a second doorbell and picked a location downstairs, but I'm not sure how to wire it in to the first doorbell, since there is a floor/ceiling beam in the...

View more questions Search