Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kyle3535 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2018, 11:37 PM
    Bird vs fish encounter?
    Visiting a beach at the ocean, I recently saw a Great Blue Heron dive and catch quite a spiky/large (and colorful! I think it was called a sculpin) crosswise in it's bill. It appeared, potential meal was fighting hard to prevent becoming the determined bird's dinner. This fish had to be a little over a foot in length, quite thick, and plenty of spiky fins! Still, within about a minute the heron had it face-first and then gulped the thing thrashing the whole way down it’s long neck!

It was a bit gruesome to watch the climax... I thought it was finally over, but once in the gullet/stomach you could see the fish strongly kicking much to the discomfort (it appeared) to the bird!

We didn't hang around for much longer. I wonder if that was the end for the fish or if the heron had won its meal?

Still, wouldn’t the sculpin stand any slim chance of escaping or even damaging (thrashing, sharp fins, biting, etc.) the bird's insides if eaten in that condition? I imagine the herons elastic/stretchy insides could possibly work against itself, giving the fish a chance to turn around? It must be a some meal for the heron and I wonder if it handles it bones and all as well? Thanks!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 23, 2018, 03:22 AM
    The fish would not have had a chance after being bathed in an intestinal 'acid' bath in the bird's stomach.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 23, 2018, 07:51 AM
    The heron is probably looking for another meal, and pooped out the previous one. That's the cycle of life. I wouldn't bet on the fish escaping after being swallowed whole.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2018, 08:56 AM
    HCL-"stomach acid" + fish=satisfying meal. Herons are not scavengers, eat live only. Creation is pretty neat!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Creepy film evil boy on farm turns into a bird or sees through eyes of a bird [ 4 Answers ]

What I remember of the film An old big (tall) wooden? Farmhouse. Located I think in the USA. The family had European connections. The boy was bad or evil or misunderstood (not sure) He could either turn into or see through the eyes of a flying bird. This is something I think that was passed...

What Fish Would You recommend I Buy For My Cichlid Fish Tank? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 26 gallon cichlid fish tank. I am looking to buy more fish. So far I have 2 red blood parrot fish, 1 black knife fish, and 2 snails. I know I can't have many fish since cichlids are territorial, but what fish would you recommend to buy? Thanks!

I have a 20 gallon fish tank and my fish are dying [ 6 Answers ]

I got a fish tank and evrything was good and my fish were having fish, and I just added water to the fish tank and just 2 days ago I notes that every time that I check my fish tank there are a lot of fish dead I want to know why?

Bird Training & Bird toys business. How to start? [ 3 Answers ]

I used to work at an Animal Hospital for 3 Years, and I got into bird training. I got really well at it and I love it! I've trained my bird to wave, fetch, and do a lot of other complex tricks. I've also helped my friend with her Bird's behavioral problems. I really want to do this more, but I'm...

Change in weight of bird-cage when the bird is flying inside the cage? [ 2 Answers ]

Q1. What kind of Change would be observed in the weight of bird-cage, weighed by a spring balance 1. when the bird is sitting inside the cage 2. when the bird is flying inside the cage? WHY? Q2. A 1.0 gm. Seed is sown on the earth after few years it becomes one of the biggest trees in the...

View more questions Search