Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2018, 05:26 AM
    Coup in Australia?
    https://www.news.com.au/finance/work...ef048e036c7ab2

The coup is on and so is the race, will the aspirant get the job done before the question of eligibility raises its head again? And here we have the ultimate folly, a man in a marginal seat in a backward state who thinks that the swing against the government just delivered in that state doesn't mean him. Arrogance thy name is Peter

https://www.9news.com.au/national/20...n-had-conflict
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2018, 09:55 AM
    why wouldn't he be eligible ? because of conflicts of interest ? oh please !
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 22, 2018, 09:57 AM
    I guess your politics is not the stuffy boring tea party I imagined it to be, but if Dutton fails then what? If he succeeds can he hold sway and rule parliament? Is his coalition that strong as his last vote indicates? I admit the idea of being able boot out a dufus between elections is most appealing.
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2018, 04:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    why wouldn't he be eligible ? because of conflicts of interest ? oh please !
    The Constitution rules that you cannot nominate or sit in parliament if your derive benefit from government contracts or hold a government office for salary.

Dutton does as a shareholder in his wife's business. You see Tom like you we take our Constitution seriously

recent changes to the way benefits are paid to child care businesses mean that even if Dutton were clear at the last election he may not be today
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2018, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    I guess your politics is not the stuffy boring tea party I imagined it to be, but if Dutton fails then what? If he succeeds can he hold sway and rule parliament? Is his coalition that strong as his last vote indicates? I admit the idea of being able boot out a dufus between elections is most appealing.
    Turncoat isn't a Dufus like Trump. Turncoat is a moderate, and has leftist leanings. He has had to abandon republicanism, he has had to abandon climate change, he has had to abandon tax cuts to the big end of town. This is all the ongoing attack of the conservatives led by Abbott, the outed former PM, Dutton is a conservative but he doesn't have the backing of key National Party members so he may split the coalition and bring on a election. Don't know if you ever saw the British Comedy Yes Minister, but this is a Jim Hacker situation. Life imitates art. Turncoat has shown himself to be weak lately having to modify key policies and being unwilling to engage in bipartisan politics. Blood is in the water and the sharks are circling
    Expert

Aug 23, 2018, 09:14 AM
    Having trouble herding the cats I see. Which is your preference?
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2018, 03:12 PM
    Julie Bishop Deputy party leader and Foreign Minister has thrown her hat in the ring saying she won't serve as deputy to another man. Scott Morrison, the Treasurer, is a committed Christian, I would be happy if either won, but we don't need another ego maniac who thinks only of himself, and Dutton is an ego maniac and is purely reactive, fearing loss of his own seat. Turncoat has said he will resign parliament if outed so that will mean the incoming PM has no majority, and it will probably mean an election. This country is becoming ungovernable and this is sad in a very successful democracy
    Expert

Aug 23, 2018, 07:46 PM
    What? Did you mean a national election? A non scheduled national election?
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2018, 08:04 PM
    Yes, It could have gone that way and still might. Scott Morrisson is now PM, both Turncoat and Bishop may fade from politics. We don't know the timing of the Turnbull resignation but he might wait until the election and not force a byelection. Morrison has a lot of runs on the board, border security, reform of welfare and treasury and he was not tainted by decapitating a sitting PM. Voting was 45-40 so Dutton might have miscalculated but may not go away. Abbott may oppose him and carry on the same warfare that brought Turncoat down. Abbott obviously hates all Turncoat supporters
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2018, 06:39 AM
    your system is too unpredictable . How many PMs have there been recently ? MPs put their finger in the wind and based on that a PM can be ousted . Since Howard (the only decent one in years ) you have had pygmies running your country . KRudd ;Red Julia , Abbott , Turnbullsh*t .Really ? This new guy Morrison won't even be able to hold Turnbull's coalition. Your country is becoming more and more like Italy every year. (8 changes since 2000 but even there ,half of them were Berlusconi )
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2018, 06:56 AM
    your system is too unpredictable . How many PMs have there been recently ? MPs put their finger in the wind and based on that a PM can be ousted . Since Howard (the only decent one in years ) you have had pygmies running your country . KRudd ;Red Julia , Abbott , Turnbullsh*t .Really ? This new guy Morrison won't even be able to hold Turnbull's coalition. Your country is becoming more and more like Italy every year. (8 changes since 2000 but even there ,half of them were Berlusconi )
    Yes we don't like what is happening. After the Rudd/Gillard fiasco the Labor Party put in place a system something akin to your primaries which makes it hard to change a leader. The Liberals have hinted that after this changes will have to be made. It isn't the Coalition that is under threat, a new coalition agreement was hammered out this afternoon, what is under threat is the slender majority. If Turncoat resigns this forces a byelection so the government has no working majority and cannot bring legislation without bipartisan support. He just might do it to ultimately see these B@stards defeated at the polls. The last time they tried that Labor passed it in the House and opposed it in the Senate. What has come out of this is major policy changes needed in energy/climate change and Tax cuts at the big end

Turncoat was masterful in defeat, delaying the inevitable until his people could get the numbers together. Those who live by the sword die by the sword and Turncoat lived by the sword, overturning leadership more than once. No tears there Tom
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2018, 08:15 AM
    Do you have any statesmen there ? any chance for Cory Bernardi to make gains ?
    Expert

Aug 24, 2018, 10:10 AM
    Seems the politicos there are subject to the same gridlock we have here that leads to a divide government that can get nothing done, because the focus is on them jockeying for a position of power and not the peoples business. An unflushed toilet serves no one and stinks up the place. Wish you better luck than us should a Dufus emerge on top.
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2018, 04:22 PM
    Do you have any statesmen there ? any chance for Cory Bernardi to make gains ?
    Every chance but it could not lead to the Australian Conservatives a significant political force any time soon, the conservatives would rather wreck the electoral chances of the Liberals. As to statesmen, they are a little thin on the ground at present, there are some with potential and Morrison might be one of them given the opportunity to develop. We certainly need a rest from Rhodes Scholars though
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2018, 04:30 PM
    Seems the politicos there are subject to the same gridlock we have here that leads to a divide government that can get nothing done, because the focus is on them jockeying for a position of power and not the peoples business. An unflushed toilet serves no one and stinks up the place. Wish you better luck than us should a Dufus emerge on top.
    Australia has a long history of volatile politics, long periods of stability make us forget the volatility. Removing the whim factor by setting specific terms for a Parliament, limiting terms of Representatives and Senators and changing the selection process of leaders might stop these rushes of blood to the head every time a party sees an electoral loss coming. Too much value is placed on how long a member can hold on to a seat
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2018, 04:33 PM
    We certainly need a rest from Rhodes Scholars though
    here here ! and Ivy League egg heads
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2018, 04:47 PM
    here here ! and Ivy League egg heads
    Not sure how many of those we have
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2018, 02:13 AM
    good radio interview explaining the political mess in Aussie.

https://audioboom.com/posts/6983019-...oreign-affairs
    Expert

Aug 25, 2018, 05:59 AM
    Not much different than the in party fighting here. Different names same issues, as I read the headlines. Banks, energy, wages, and tax cuts.
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2018, 03:02 PM
    good radio interview explaining the political mess in Aussie.

https://audioboom.com/posts/6983019-...oreign-affairs

An interesting take but it doesn't tell the whole story. There were two things driving this and they may continue to do so. Firstly, Turncoat didn't do well in recent byelections, the sitting government never does well in byelections which are an opportunity for the electorate to censure the government, and particularly in Longman in Queensland indicating massive loss of support in Queensland. Dutton is from Queensland in a marginal seat, The second is Tony Abbott, former PM a conservative stornchly opposed to Turncoat and his policies on energy/climate change and Tax cuts to the big end. Abbott was never going to favour Turncoat in anything.

Not much different than the in party fighting here. Different names same issues, as I read the headlines. Banks, energy, wages, and tax cuts.
    Yes there are similarities with the big difference that we don't have that polarising figure, Trump

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did You Know We are Witnessing an Intelligence Community Counter-Coup? [ 36 Answers ]

Clinton Coup vs. INFO-Counter-Coup October 29, 2016 Dr. Steve R. Pieczenik, MD, PhD http://stevepieczenik.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Unknown-22.jpeg America you are witnessing: Clinton Coup vs Counter-Coup by our Brave Intelligence Community! In my last blog, I outlined the different...

Did the Russians just perpetrate a coup d'état? How's your Russian? [ 73 Answers ]

Hello: And, they DID it with the right wing's help. WHEN did right wingers fall in LOVE with Russia?? I missed it.. WE'RE going down the tubes, America.. We gotta ACT, and ACT NOW!!!!! excon

Coup needs a facelift, can't I require it be painted and upgraded? [ 1 Answers ]

I agreed that my tenant could have chickens. He put a dilapidated chicken coop on the property. I'm willing to pay for the paint and have asked that it be painted. He says he doesn't have to make it look pretty, that it just has to be structurally sound. His words were, "You have no control over...

Silver Certificates and Fiji Shilling & War Ration Coup [ 3 Answers ]

I have three 1935 Silver Cert - 2 are 1935C in good cond and one is 1935A with Hawaii on it, also a 1957A all are $1; also have a Govern of FIJI One Shilling from 1st jan, 1942; Also have a $2 1953 B and 1976 in good condition; I have a War Ration Book No 3 with 4 full sheets of war ration...

Military coup [ 11 Answers ]

Martin Lewis a contributor of Huffingtonpost says that General Pace should lead a coup against President Bush Martin Lewis: General Pace, You Can Save the US - by Arresting Bush for "Conduct Unbecoming" - Politics on The Huffington Post Citing justification in the UCMJ he claims that...

View more questions Search