Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mvjohn100 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2018, 07:10 AM
    What happens if there is dam overflow
    On the previous week news (14-Aug-2018) we found one dam overflows because of excess water. Few days it stayed like that way. Is it affect it's strength
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 21, 2018, 12:55 PM
    Possibly but I wouldn't stand there watching to see if it holds... RUN! Typically when dams are built, a spillway(s) is also built to keep the water level behind the dam at a safe level.

Did I mention RUN... for much higher ground... and safe distance.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2018, 08:05 PM
    Depends on the dam construction. Earthen dams are usually the ones to fail. Concrete dams rarely. All dams should have a spillway. My friend has a 5 acre pond with an earthen dam. It has a stone bed spillway AND another 8" PVC pipe emergency overflow pipe.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 23, 2018, 05:17 AM
    A concrete dam may indeed fail if over-topped for too long - it all depends on how it's designed. Water flowing over the top may not harm the concrete itself, but can cause scouring at the base and along the embankments on either side.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am replacing a 1995 sink with overflow with a sink with no overflow [ 2 Answers ]

Is the a change I need to make in the plumbing in the bathroom sink vanity to accommodate this change to a no overflow sink?

What makes the dishwasher overflow valve overflow with water? [ 4 Answers ]

I moved into a house about a month ago. It has one of those overflow valves mounted on the counter by the sink. Today, while running the dishwasher, water poured out of the valve. The deal is, it runs not only in the sink, but also the other direction onto the counter and onto the floor! What is...

Dap out overflow [ 1 Answers ]

I have a concrete slab house where we recently replaced all the drains below the slab. We left a 12x12 inch dap out hole around the p-trap underneath the tub. Now when it rains, water comes up through the dap out and into the house. We are having an extremely wet season here (lucky me), so it is...

Air gap overflow [ 12 Answers ]

Changed my garbage disposer several months ago. Hooked up the lines like the instructions showed. I have a double bowl sink with the air gap emptying in to the right sink. If the sink stopper is plugged into the drain in the right sink, the dishwasher puts water through the air gap. If the drain is...

View more questions Search