Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phildesign Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2018, 03:24 PM
    Whitewashing cedar planks for outdoor use
    I have been doing a fair amount of research, went to several paint shops, visited Home Depot and Lowe's, yet could not get a clear answer that would help me with my project.

I'm in the process of redoing a pergola over the back deck of our mid century home. The pergola has a unique feature that consists of tiltable "blinds" which were made of 6' wood planks. These planks had been painted white. After eight years of ownership of this house the planks were severely bent and the paint was flaking and falling off.

Name:  IMG_1229 2 copy.JPG
Views: 346
Size:  149.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1233 copy.JPG
Views: 348
Size:  131.9 KB

Per advice from the lumber guys I bought new cedar planks since cedar is highly resilient to weathering and bugs. Our house features a beautiful whitewashed wooden ceiling which is why I've been wanting to carry that look to the outside.

Name:  IMG_1274 copy.JPG
Views: 383
Size:  61.6 KB

After several discussions with various people I've landed at experimenting with solid white exterior flat paint and a medium base exterior flat paint. When I whitewashed the cedar with either sample they turned out exactly the way I would like them to look. The question I'm asking myself is whether a diluted or thinly applied paint would insufficiently protect the wood or potentially start peeling off earlier than I would like it to? I believe the zinc in the paint is what gives it the white color but I don't know whether it is what is protecting the wood or if it's the latex that helps with UV and water protection? Either way I'm unclear whether a whitewashed solution with exterior paint would be a good long-term solution. I would prefer not having to refinish 50 planks two years from now.

Name:  IMG_1088 copy.JPG
Views: 293
Size:  71.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1096.JPG
Views: 239
Size:  103.1 KB

I also inquired about whether I could add a secondary finish over the whitewashed wood such as a clear matte sealant. I believe a whitewashed paint is a non penetrating surface application therefore a secondary product would need to adhere to the paint, right? The guys at the paint store told me since it's an exterior paint adding a secondary product on top would not make any sense.

Alternatively, I was looking for other solutions such as a stain that would yield a lighter color. I have not found such a product. The stains that I have found either change the hue/color of the wood, preserve the existing color or darken the wood into a different color. Maybe I'm missing something there.

I also looked into traditional whitewashing using lime and salt however that approach does not seem to be weather proof and would wear off quickly.

Any help here would be much appreciated. Has anyone whitewashed wood for outside use with a resilient finish?

Thank you!

Check out some similar questions!

How to mill planks, with hand tools... [ 6 Answers ]

I have been in need of fixing up my chicken coop. I built it from scraps that where piled up, old doors, old pieces of lumber and plywood, scrap wood. Turned out really good for about a year. It's still really sturdy but bears and wild animals are taking a toll on its outside. I have been...

Working with Brazilian Cherry planks [ 4 Answers ]

I am in the process of making a table top from 3 1/8" Brazilian Cherry planks that I got from Lumber Liquidators. The same material one would use for hardwoor floors. The table will measure 53" square with a removable center piece which is 16". I have glued the three sections that make up the...

Model Ship Building - How to Bend the Planks Around the Bow [ 1 Answers ]

How do I bend planks around a model ships rounded type of bow

Problems with laminate flooring/planks peaking [ 3 Answers ]

We recently had some shaw 8mm laminate flooring installed. Very soon after the install, a few boards starting peaking up on the ends. I thought it was maybe touching a wall, but I read that the planks on both sides would push up against each other. We had the installer out and he says it's the...

Laminate Flooring Planks Not Flat [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there I am laying a laminate floor myself. The planks came wrapped and pakaged they are not flat. When taken from the pakaging there is a slight bow/sag in them. Will this affect the laying of the floor? Will it flaten out? Any comments or suggestions would be appriciated. Thanks

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.