Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eubiehmp49 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2018, 10:01 AM
    Florida's rules for returning funds for holding rental properties
    I was given money on the 3rd of August 2018 to hold my rental property for the purposes of (1) obtaining a cosigner (her uncle) and (2) after obtaining the cosigner to build a fence around the property prior to moving in on 25th of August 2018. This fell through because of the uncle wanting to see all completed documents prior to his agreeing to sign the Cosigner Agreement. He lives out of town and was not agreeable to being available for all signatures to be witnessed in front of a notary. He is requesting that I, the Landlord, and his Niece, the tenant, go before a notary, complete the Rental Agreement, the Animal Addendum, all prior to his having to sign the Cosigner Agreement. I felt, if I was to do this prior to his consent to cosign, I would have entered a legal and binding agreement before he consented. This action binds me without his having to sign anything. True or false? Now, what do I do with the monies given to hold the rental?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 15, 2018, 11:49 AM
    Unless you have in writing or told this potential renter the money was non refundable then you simply return it in a specified reasonable time (Usually 30 days but local rules apply also, but some refunds are bound by 3 to 5 business days). It depends on what is agreed to, or your past policy and practice. Do you have a policy or procedure for refunds in writing? A verbal agreement or commitment for the refund?

You are correct to not agree to anything until the cosigner had been secured. It can be looked up with a specific county or city. Local laws must fall within the state law.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Or peruse the entire body of statues for something specific to your cause

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Without question you have rights, but so do tenants or potential tenants, and without a doubt its in your interest to return someone's money as soon as reasonably possible just to avoid the aggravation and legal haggling. Is there a good reason why you wouldn't?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 15, 2018, 04:56 PM
    As noted, it all depends on the terms of the payment. I make all funds for "holding" non refundable, since I am being paid for holding property, I could rent or sell to someone else. But I am clear on this, and it is in writing.

If you did not make it clear to them, you return the money.

And yes, never, never, sign all the paper work, till they have furnished everyhting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue my bank for returning a check when I had funds to cover it? [ 4 Answers ]

Can I sue my bank? We had a couple of check that we wrote that were returned when we had funds in our account to cover them. Now we have $70 per check to pay the bank for insufficant funds plus we have to go and cover these checks to where they were written plus $25 per check. Whick is more then...

PayPal and holding funds [ 5 Answers ]

I can't find an answer anywhere, and I know it wasn't like this before, but does anyone know why, and since when, PayPal started holding funds for service invoices? I know whenever I sold something (not often) PP would place funds on hold, but I mostly do service transactions and whenever I sent...

Rental properties [ 1 Answers ]

I love in an apartment in a rental property. For the past week and then some, there has been a really disgusting smell. I think it is a sewage smell. I have complained to the main office, and have been told that others have complained too and they are looking for the cause of the smell. However, I...

Returning Canadian w/ Out of Country Funds- TAXES? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Experts- My husband and I are Non Resident Canadians living and working in the Turks & Caicos since 2004. We are planning on moving back to Canada in the later part of 2009- We need advice on how to re-enter the system with our money and where our tax obligations are. 1) Will I have to...

Foreclosure on Rental Properties [ 2 Answers ]

I have 4 rental properties and a home of my own that I live in with my wife and child. I do not have a regular pay check coming in and can have pretty much depleted my savings to pay the mortgage and bills on the home I live in. My wife's paycheck does not cover our home and expenses. The...

View more questions Search