Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anonymous2018 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2018, 03:04 PM
    I need a man’s opinion on this. Am I overreacting? Should I get over it and move on o
    WARNING- disturbing content.

My boyfriend, let's call him Stan- 26 years old, has a friend named Aaron- 26 years old. They have known each other for about 10 years now. Stan and I have a two-year-old son together and Aaron and his girlfriend also have a two-year-old son together. Aaron's girlfriend has a daughter from her previous relationship who is about 6 years old now.
    Stan and Aaron have always been obnoxious together. They think it's funny to push each other's boundaries by making inappropriate comments, yell very loud and ridiculous things randomly, etc. They act the way you would expect high school boys to act, not grown adults...
    Anyway, I have never had a problem with Aaron before. In fact, we got along just fine aside from when Stan and Aaron would act up together. However, as soon as we each had our sons, Aaron decided to push the boundaries to the limit by making gestures and comments towards his children.
    At the hospital after Aaron's son was born, he was showing him off to Stan, me, and our newborn. Aaron decided to pretend like he was sucking his son's private parts off and saying "I'm just going to suck off Jergson" or some stupid crap like that. (Jergson is a joke between Stan and Aaron) He leaned in yet was still a decent distance from his son's private parts which were, thankfully, covered by a diaper. Aaron moved his head back and forth as if he were giving his son a bj. It was strange enough behavior to question him but not necessarily threatening enough to report him... I was instantly uncomfortable and wanted to leave. I mentioned how strange and unusual that was to Stan when we left but he got mad at me for "overreacting" and brushed it off as if it were nothing. I decided maybe it was just an awkward sense of humor and as long as nothing like that happened again, it will probably be fine.
    So! We all decided to meet up for lunch one day. It was Stan and I, Aaron and his girlfriend and Aaron's girlfriend's daughter who was about 4 at the time. After our food came out, Aaron's girlfriend's daughter reached over to grab something off Aaron's plate and he instantly said (very loudly), "touch my food and I'll touch your tits" to this little girl. Aaron's girlfriend did not do a thing!!
    This was the last straw for me. I told Stan that I did not want them in our lives anymore. I was so uncomfortable about the situation. Stan got furious with me and told me I was being ridiculous. He said he knows how Aaron is, he claims to know who Aaron is, and he knows he is not a child molester. He said he was simply pushing the boundaries again. I told him that no normal person makes comments or gestures like that! Therefore, Stan, our son, and I did not have anything to do with these people for a very long time. Aaron got incredibly offended that I would think that he might have actually meant what he said and did. He said if he would have known that I would have reacted the way that I did, he would have never said or done it. To me, that is not the point. Even the fact that it crossed his mind was disturbing enough to me.
    Stan has managed to remain friends with Aaron through all of this. He stopped being friends with him for about a year and then they started talking to each other again and would hang out once in a while. I was not okay with it, but Stan did not care what I thought anymore. He said that I kept him away from his friend for too long. He said that Aaron did not mean anything by it and that I needed to get over it.
    It has been two years now since the incidence and Stan keeps trying to get me to be accepting of them again. The way I look at it is, no one in their right mind would make comments like that about children. Not even as a joke…
    Now, I understand that females might react much differently than men might about certain things. That’s why I am wanting grown adult male opinions over this matter. I want to know if it should be a concern of mine for a grown adult who has children to make inappropriate comments about his children or if it’s something I should try to get over.
    I have even suggested to Stan that at this point, I don’t care if he wants to surround himself with negative people, I just don’t want our son or myself around them. I got so tired of fighting with him over this situation that I am trying to negotiate with him.

Am I overreacting or does this give you a weird vibe as well?
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2018, 03:37 PM
    Overreacting? HECK NO. That behavior is vile, disgusting, immature, inappropriate - just about any word would work in this situation. I actually think it's cool you stood up for your beliefs. You know when you start to grow as a person, you grow up. What we did in high school is what we did in high school. I wouldn't want to be around him either. But then again, I grew up.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 13, 2018, 04:12 PM
    I totally agree with Oliver, PLUS Aaron and Stan are supposed to be role models for their children. Does Aaron want his children to be using pejorative/derogatory words and mimicking his off-color actions? (They will.) And what about adults and children who hear and see him talking/behaving this way?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 13, 2018, 05:16 PM
    What he did and said is not okay by any stretch of the imagination. The idiot probably has never been called on his behavior so kudos for you checking his butt! Now check your boyfriend for being an idiot enabler. Demand better you get better.
    SomeRandomTeen Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2018, 02:18 PM
    You said you wanted a male opinion right? Well here you go.
    So are you overreacting?
    Yes, but I don't think overreact is the right word.
    You see men like to play around, tease each other, stuff like that.
    Quite a lot of us have a perverted sense of humour, of which I can undertand is easy to take the wrong way.
    The thing is... I grew up with the exact same treatment as Aaron was giving the children.
    And I (In my own opinion) turned out fine. I think it actually might have helped me since from that I have learned,
    to not take things too seriously and keep jokes as jokes, and not to care about others opinions.
    Aaron does really seem like a responssible guy, and I'll just say... Maybe ease up a bit.
    Don't take it as an attack, keep it as a joke.

And if you want my true opinion then:
    TRIGGER WARNING

You seem like a really annoying person who can't take a joke.
    You probably think that jokes about ISIS aren't funny, and everyone who laughts at them is a moron.
    Just loosen up a bit.
    What i'd do is to take a day (not a work or an otherwise busy day) and do not complain about anything. And I mean anything.
    Fridge was left open, quiet. You reaaallly wanna stop your neighbour from playing the music so god damn loud, quiet. You get he point.
    I like to start with the extreme and then tune it down.
    Might not work for you but hey, atleast you tried not to be boring.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 22, 2018, 05:50 PM
    I would say under reacting, if you did not say or do something right when it happened, calling them sick and disgusting. Comments around small children is abuse (even if no touching) and to be honest would make them unfit parents who I would hope children's services would be involved.

I would have called them on such actions, which it happened, and called children's service on some of it.

You need to get your child away from such people
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 22, 2018, 08:34 PM
    You are not overreacting in the least bit. Personally, I feel you were under reacting. Time to put the breaks on and get this disgusting pervert out of your lives and away from all children within the reach of his arms.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I overreacting? [ 4 Answers ]

I feel like my boyfriend does not care about me. Whenever I hang out with my family I always invite him and he is constantly in my house and he knows my mother and my whole family. Every time I go out shopping I always think of him before myself and always think what to get for him. And I always...

Side effects of my medication: Need an opinion, am I overreacting? [ 7 Answers ]

So, Recently I decided to go to the doctor for help with anxiety/sleep troubles... Don't know how much history to give but I've had trouble with sleep all my life. I've taken herbal supplements, exercised and eaten like a normal person should... Nothing really helps. Even as a child I had a hard...

Girlfriend break up with me. Need opinion to stay or move on [ 38 Answers ]

My girlfriend recently broke up with me and I need advice on what to do. Stay and try to win her back or to leave. My girlfriend and I have been together for 3 years. She is attractive, intelligent, educated, likes music and dancing. We met while she was an undergraduate in college and I...

Am I overreacting? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 13 (and a girl). I've been away from home for about 2 weeks and of course, haven't seen my best friend in that time (a little more than that, actually, since it's summer and we both have been kind of busy). I went over to her house just the other day though, and it was kind of awkward. We...

Am I overreacting? [ 2 Answers ]

OK so I still have major feelings for my ex. We broke up a couple months ago and since then we continued to stay in touch every now and then she would get all sentimental about our past. We still use our made up words with each other and I still call her by her pet name I had for her. But she has...

View more questions Search