Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Allen Farber Posts: 191, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2018, 06:38 PM
    How does the subconscious work?
    According to the dictionary definition of "Subconscious", it means "The part of the mind that one isn't aware about but still influences their decisions". But then it says that beliefs are part of the subconscious mind. I don't understand how somebody could be unaware of their own beliefs? People who are against gay marriage, abortion, immigration, taxes, etc. all seem to know what they believe if you ask them. So I'm confused why beliefs aren't part of the conscious, which is the part of the mind people are aware about.

Here's the article I read where they talked about it:

"Let’s say you have a goal to improve your career. Yet, plagued by learning challenges, you have the belief that you are not smart enough to accomplish what you want. These beliefs subconsciously override any desires to go for what you want. You may find you are good at the start, but seeds of doubt kick in and you decide this is just too hard and not worth the effort. Subconsciously you have already decided you are going to fail so you consciously choose not to follow through.
    Given these beliefs are out of conscious awareness most people never examine them. Consequently, every time you unknowingly repeat them, you strengthen them. This is how habits are solidified."

So in this context, how would somebody not know that they think they're stupid? If they think to themselves "I can't do this. I'm stupid." then how would they not be aware that that's what they're thinking?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 8, 2018, 07:28 PM
    The term "subconscious" was coined by a psychologist, Pierre Janet. During my master's program in psychology, the preferred term was "unconscious."

I have a young friend, age 25. He is an only child. His parents have always subtly indicated he doesn't do something correctly -- whether it was, as a toddler, building a tower out of blocks ("Your tower is leaning and will soon fall over") or playing sports in grade school ("Why can't you run faster?!") or washing dishes ("You're not using hot enough water"). My friend has never been, according to his parents, "good enough." He has brought these insecurities into adulthood: "I'm not good enough" no matter what it is, and this taints everything he does, consciously or unconsciously. No matter what he does, he tells himself consciously or unconsciously it is sure to eventually fail. In other words, he knows he's doomed no matter what he does.
    Allen Farber Posts: 191, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2018, 04:16 AM
    What I'm wondering is how is your friend unaware that they tell themself "I'm not good enough"?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 9, 2018, 09:59 AM
    Many people don't have a high level of self awareness on a conscious level, let alone sub conscious one. Have you ever done an honest self evaluation? This may help explain what I mean.

https://www.self-esteem-enhances-lif...ssessment.html
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 9, 2018, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Farber View Post
    What I'm wondering is how is your friend unaware that they tell themself "I'm not good enough"?
    It's an ongoing conversation in his lizard brain, his "subconscious," and he believes it is true no matter what he does. After all, his parents never thought he did/does anything worthwhile, and they know what they are talking about, so it must be true.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Subconscious Anorexia [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to become anorexic with no deliberate intentions of losing weight or anything? I've just felt incredibly without appetite for the last week or so, and I've had dips like this before but never to this extent. When I consider eating just for the heck of it I counter the thought with...

Subconscious/Unconcious habits [ 17 Answers ]

I was curious if anyone could let me in on some techniques for overcoming subconscious belief systems? I'm currently working on well... in short I guess I'd call it becoming "innocent", seeing and experiencing all without judgment. It's like I have a pure conscious mindset, but then, I'll react to...

Subconscious thoughts? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, Im wondering if you can help me here... what are subconscious thoughts?? My story in short is when I was just "seeing" a girl ske kissed another guy at new year, I decided not to join her that night and wish I had now. We are now in a relationship. She has had a past where...

Subconscious Mind [ 2 Answers ]

How does one reprogram the subconscious mind?

View more questions Search