Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WorriedinFL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2018, 07:05 PM
    Can the IRS levy my Disability BACK PAY for deliquent taxes?
    I owe the IRS from the tax year 2013. I stopped working that year and became disabled. I recently won my disability claim and am owed almost two years of back pay (which is a substantial amount) I live in Florida and have been homeless for over a year awaiting my hearing. (I was denied twice) I haven't had any "gainful" employment and SSDI is my only source of income. I've had no bank accounts or no assets (up until now-a checking account for my direct deposit)
    Can the IRS just levy my back pay without notifying me first? I'm willing to work out a payment plan with them, but even $100 a month would be difficult to uphold.
    What should I do? Should I contact the IRS first or should I allow them to contact me. I haven't received any benefits yet, only a letter informing me that I received a "fully favorable" decision on my case from the judge. I'm still awaiting my award letter from SSDI. I just started receiving SSI benefits (different program) and I read on another thread that those funds are not able to be garnished or am I mistaken on the entire thing?

AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 8, 2018, 08:17 AM
    If you are owed almost TWO years of disability, you WILL be getting a large lump-sum settlement. It is likely that the IRS WILL make a claim against that payment for your 2013 income taxes due.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lump Sum Soc Sec Disability - I owe back taxes [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm glad I found this forum. I have about $60k coming to me for Social Security Disability retroactive payments. I owe IRS --- I asked for transcripts, and found I owe about $50K including penalties and interest. Will IRS and Ohio attach the lump sum? How about continuing...

Can the IRS keep my back pay for Social Security Disability If I owe back taxes [ 4 Answers ]

I owe back federal taxes of approximately $13,000.00. I have a back payment of approximately $20.000.00 coming from Social Security Disability. How much money will the IRS keep of this money if any, and will they notify me before hand

Can NYS levy Social Security income for back taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

I owe New York State income tax for the last couple of Years. Can NYS garnish or levy my Social Security to collect the state Taxes due? Can NYS garnish my earnings if I have a job that only pays

Disability and back taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My husband is looking at being put on disability. However, we are concerned because he is self employed and we owe back taxes. How does this effect us in filing for disability?

View more questions Search