Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JMcC9 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2018, 07:09 PM
    Craftsman LT2000 metal starter gear snapped in half.
    I have a Craftsman LT2000 18hp OHV. Went to start it up and when the starter gear engaged the fly wheel it made a odd noise and the starter gear snapped off the rod. Upon inspection discovered the starter motor was missing a mounting bolt and was loose. Thought the gear had engaged the fly wheel at a bad angle and caused the break. I replaced the gear and secured the starter motor. When I cranked it up the starter gear broke off the rod again!
    I assume something else is wrong. Any suggestions before I install a new starter motor?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 1, 2018, 09:13 AM
    Inspect flywheel assembly, and alignment. Can you turn the engine by hand?
    JMcC9 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2018, 06:16 AM
    Thanks for the response. Yes, the fly wheel does turn and feels like compression is good, haven't yet cracked open the valve casing to check.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 10, 2018, 01:18 PM
    Assuming OEM parts, and it's not an alignment problem (starter gear position, starter motor foundation?), then yeah shafts, valves, and pistons may be indicated. How do you know it seems to be getting good compression? Got a manual, contact number for the manufacturer?

It just occurred to me to first check your starter solenoid wire(s) to the battery to confirm proper engagement, AND disengagement. Please keep us updated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman LT2000 42" mower deck [ 1 Answers ]

I need a diagram of the routing of the mower deck belt.

Maintenance manual craftsman lt2000 [ 1 Answers ]

How do I install the plow

Lt2000 craftsman manual [ 1 Answers ]

I have a craftsman lt2000 19hp riding mower. What size belt do I need to run the blades. Is it part#140294 or 144959.

Craftsman LT2000 Belts [ 2 Answers ]

How do you change belt on this tractor? The belt that needs changing is the one that allows the tractor to cut - not the driving belt.

Gear repair on Craftsman LT2000 [ 1 Answers ]

I have aCraftsman LT2000 lawn and garden tractor. It will not shift into 5 or 6 gear.How can I fix it?

View more questions Search