Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mstr1040 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2007, 01:02 PM
    A Collection Service bought a Penalty assessed to by the State of MA DEP?
    This was penalty was assessed by the Department of Environmental Protection of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in 1995. I have since sold property in 1999. Moved to RI. It was never paid off when I sold the property that was contaminated. In 2006, I heard from a collection and they have been calling/harassing me to pay this debt. I was not aware of the debt or that I owed anything. When does the statue of limitation run out on this debt? What do I do?
    Thanks
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2007, 01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mstr1040
    What do I do? Thanks
    Hello Mstr:

Well, if they can prove to a judge that you owe the debt, they'll win. If you can prove to a judge that the SOL has expired, then you'll win. If you don't want to take that chance, then negotiate with them.

The SOL is determined by lots of factors that aren't evident in your question so I can't help you in that regard. If they're still hassling you and not suing you, they might already know that the SOL has expired and they're just trying to get whatever they can. I don't know.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection Agency license to collect in my state? [ 1 Answers ]

I sent a letter to a collection to give me information the verify's they are license to operate in my state (Florida) they have not responded. How do I find out if a collection agency is license to collect in my state :confused: :confused:

Nj resident bought ny home [ 2 Answers ]

I live in nj but I but I bought a home in ny state for my sister and her family. She pays me rent. Less then the mortgage. I do not live in the home and did not live in the house for even one day in 2006. I work in nyc and rent in nj. I am not considered a ny resident am I?

How install a dishwasher? Just bought one [ 3 Answers ]

Just bought a dishwasher at homedepot for a really good price, what's involved with installation as I'll be doing this myself. Any pointers or a step by step? Thanks, lbrowne

Bought new briggs 12 hp with no instructions (need Help) [ 1 Answers ]

Had a 34 ton log splitter with 9 hp engine. Engine wore out. Went to place I bought the log splitter 5 years ago (Tractor Supply) and they recommended a B&S 12 hp replacement. They had one left, the floor model. No manual, no key, nothing but the beautiful new engine no gas tank (which I...

View more questions Search